1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: 3D Metal Printing
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

suitable cleaning fluid

Discussion in 'Everything Else InkJet Printer Related' started by plimsol, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Oct 25, 2006
    ghwellsjr

ghwellsjr Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Epson WP-4530
  2. Oct 25, 2006
    Grandad35

Grandad35 Printer Master Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
    Here is a link to "MSDS" on isopropyl alcohol (http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/i8840.htm).
    It is certainly not suitable for drinking - this is the stuff that they use in a doctor's office to sterilize a site before giving an injection (also known as "rubbing alcohol"). I buy "70% by volume" at my local grocery store for about $1 for a 16 oz bottle. Maybe you are trying to buy ultrapure stuff from a pharamacy.

3. Oct 25, 2006
    plimsol

plimsol Getting Fingers Dirty

thanks grandad, we live in hick country (the american expression i think)but problem solved as far as the isopropanol is concerned, i have found a pharmaceutical co. on the net that supply it.
    hugo

4. Oct 25, 2006
    fotofreek

fotofreek Printer Master Moderator

Granddad35 once posted the source for the Windex MSDS (data sheet required by the US govt which states all ingredients). I believe it was on the Johnson Wax web site. There is very little ammonia in it. The major ingredient is water with a fairly small percentage of alcohol. Add some blue dye to make you think you are buying something more than water with a few cents worth of other ingredients and you have the original windex. Water, 10 to 20 percent alcohol, and a hint of ammonia would probably do the trick. For a second round of cleaning if that doesn't clear the clog you could boost the percent of alcohol and add another few drops of ammonia. Starting with fairly hot water before adding the alcohol and ammonia wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

5. Oct 25, 2006
    Grandad35

Grandad35 Printer Master Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
    There's no magic in finding MSDS data - just google "MSDS Windex" (without the quotes), or whatever product you are looking for.

6. Oct 29, 2006
    Lilla

Lilla Getting Fingers Dirty

In this article titled The Magic Solution For Inkjet Clogs here it states...

Below, the author gives a formula for making your own Windex substitute...

For clogs that don't respond to windex (and other normal methods), he recommends ammonia. He doesn't say, but I've read that clear non-sudsing forumula should be used.
    You'll want to read the entire article.

Lilla

7. Oct 29, 2006
    plimsol

many thanks, will give it a thrash,I did look at windolene but no mention of ammonia on the label nor could i smell ammonia but what the hell, nothing to lose, thanks,hugo

8. Oct 29, 2006
    CanonPhreak

CanonPhreak Getting Fingers Dirty

9. Oct 30, 2006
    plimsol

pj, thanks, got some isopropynol off the net after all that, am current trying 50/50 distilled water and ammonia, seems to have worked for one of my printheads so far.
    hugo

10. Oct 31, 2006
    AlienSteve

AlienSteve Fan of Printing

Printer Model:
    HP, Canon, Epson
    I use 1 part nonsudsing clear household ammonia, 4 parts clear isopropyl alcohol, 5 parts distilled water. You can skip the isopropyl if you wish and use 1 part ammonia to 9 parts water.

Just to clarify for everyone: I don't think he means mix hot water with alcohol and ammonia, I think he means try using just hot water to clean first.

If you mix those with hot water, the alcohol and ammonia will evaporate. Ammonia is a gas dissolved in water, and of course alcohol is a liquid with a low vapor point.