Suggestions on CardStock for Business Cards?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Interesting about the setting for thicker stock. My old Canon BJC-1000 had a manual lever setting like this, as does the i560 (I think). Funny thing is that the i860 does NOT have this manual setting.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The I960 setting for thicker stock is a software setting. It is in the maintainance section/custom settings/prevent abrasion

John

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I originally was printing business cards on pre-scored business car stock, but after making a
few on gloss photo paper, I never looked back.

Now I print all of my business cards using Kirkland Glossy photo paper with my S9000.

I used to have to cut all the cards by hand using a self healing mat with a knife. VERY time consuming,
not to mention the cut fingers!!!

Recently I purchased this interesting item.

http://www.edps.com/index.php/cPath/132

The best $89.00 I ever spent. This machine does what it says.

It will cut your 8.5X11 sheet of paper into 10 business in a matter seconds. VERY accurate too!!!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Rob - If you haven't tried the Epson double sided matte paper for cards check it out. It doesn't have the "snap" that the Wasau paper has, but color image quality is quite good. Not quite the vibrance of prints on glossy paper, but more than acceptable. I have been using it for two sided printing of greeting cards. It is heavier than the single sided Epson matte paper and even though you are not interested in double sided printing the weight would be better than the single sided matte paper for cards. Watch the Sunday SF Chronicle advertising inserts as OfficeMax and other like stores sometimes have an Epson paper two-for-one sale. I then stock up with a few packs. I also just bought Staples double sided matte paper on a two-for-one sale last week to try out.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Super, thanks. Let us know how the Staples compares to the Epson.

Jane

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I make cards all the time because of all the numbers that people need in order to call me (sever hearing loss so you need to call a relay service first and then give them my regular phone number with area code - in US). Also, there is the matter of how to fax to me (I just have software on the computer, not a fax machine, so people have to let me know before faxing), and e-mail address. I do not have a business. I put further information about how relay operates on the reverse side.

Before retirement I used to use file folders cut down that had a battered label area on them but in good shape otherwise. Trim into two sheets, print and then cut into cards manually. Had the advantage of being FREE as they would go in trash otherwise. Any more I get whatever I happen to find usually at Walmart in 250 card packs. Brands I know I have used are Avery and PC papers by Ampad. Both have worked well for my purpose using Avery template that is included in WordPerfect (like an earlier poster I prefer WordPerfect to M$ Word). I am not sure of price as it has been awhile since I bought any but think under $5.00 per pack; it would vary anyway depending on where purchased and in what location.

My current printer is the Canon S-800.
Jane

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Jane, thanks for the post and welcome to the forum! I'm always impressed when people's first post is an answer and not a question.

I'd be printing business cards left and right for business, friends, customers, etc. if it wasn't for the fact that they aren't waterproof. I guess I could use the Kirkland photo paper, but I've run into too many people that hold photo paper business cards in their hands and say it just doesn't feel right.

What do all of you do to get around this, or to resolve this? Maybe the only resolution is not to get them wet. :)

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I use my laser printer, 80# Wasau cover stock, and settle for simple black text cards. This isn't perfect, either, as the laser print isn't abraison-proof like printed cards. No problem with dampness, however. As mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I use the Avery template in wordperfect and cut them on my paper cutter. (I would rather have Rob's papercutter than my little guillatine model!) Rob - have you ever used a fixative spray, several of which are sold at art supplies, on inkjet prints? I haven't, but that might be the subject of another thread.