Subsistute for 'needle' for a syringe

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 & Panny KX-MB271
When I had a HP printer, the needle was fine because of the sponge in the cartridge (to push it through the sponge itself to refill that tank). Now I have a Canon and I don't need a 'needle' anymore.

What I need is a small flexible 'tube' (hose) that will reach down to the bottom of the ink bottle to get all the ink out without tipping the bottle (and spilling the ink) and to make it easier to withdraw the ink from the bottle (needle is too small a diameter to suck the ink fast enough).

Any suggestions on what/where to replace the 'needle' for a syringe??

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
How about use a small coffee mug? Put the ink bottle inside the mug after the cap is opened. The bottle will not be likely tipped off any more.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Be aware that any diameter large enough to allow a fast draw on a syringe is going to allow the ink to drip out when it is withdrawn from the bottle.

The ideal thing might be to get something like a 3 1/2 " 18 gauge needle. Try your local doctor or vet.
Failing that, look for 1/16" diameter vinyl tubing and a female barb luer lock fitting.

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
What I mean by tipping the bottle is when the bottle is less than 3/4 filled, the needle isn't long enough to reach the ink, so I have to 'tip' the bottle. Well, its also easy to tip it too far and spill some. I need a longer 'reach'.

I never thought about a large diameter 'tube' causing the ink to drip back out of the syringe.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Interesting.

I like the all in one idea of a bottle with a needle like tube so as to elimnate the syringe/needle altogether. One less thing to work with and clean up after each color, BUT,
My first concern would be with those bottles with the small tubes (needles), if the cap or needle would let go, the unthinkable mess it would make when the bottle is turned upside down when filling the tank. :eek:

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I have been using this system for a few months, and it is cleaner and faster than a syringe/needle combination. The cap is screwed on and the needle is a Luer Lock, so both connections are quite secure.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I did have a Howard electronics luerlock attachment partially strip out so I always check to see that the needle hubs are securely in place before tipping them to refill. An easy, quick check to avoid a flood of ink! I've now used them for about six months without any problems.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Depends on the amount of ink you use. I bought two ounce bottles and had them substitute longer needles for the 1/2 inch ones they bundled with the bottles.