Straight paper path

n0nickrick

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm desperate to find a reliable inkjet that is available in the U.S.A with a straight paper path. I plan on printing on very thin stock (tissue paper) and I have to have a straight paper path to do it. Please only currently available models. Many, many thanks!! :)

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Just to warn you: printing directly onto tissue paper is impossible even with a straight paper path. The paper rollers will just slip over the paper and will destroy the delicate surface. Even if the tissue paper is fixed onto a more solid paper the paper feeder rolls will slip over the surface and prints will come out horrible.

Now suppose it will work with a large format printer especially adapted to print on T-shirts using dye sublimation ink where the printer or rollers never touches the printable surface: how do you prevent the enormous bleeding of ink on your tissue paper, which will cause the ink to penentrate in every direction, giving a complete mess ?

JoePineapples

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I don't know if you can find a totally straight patch but the Canon IP4700 has a rear feed that may work for you

Joe

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Since the article mentioned the issue of most inks not being water resistant, you might want to consider a pigment ink based printer. Epson printers that use DURABrite ink fit this category.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The paper in your article seems to be very tough for ordinary tissue paper: it looks like felt. I think it should work on an Epson R1800, R1900, R2400, R2880, Pro 3800 and also the Canon Pro 95000. All of these mentioned printers are A3+ or bigger size and work with pigment ink. You want to print on larger sheets I presume. I think a straight path is necessary, because two sheets are glued together and the slightest bending can cause the papers to ripple.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I made lots of these in my teens. I then bought and built one when my son was very young to show him that there was something more interesting than popping together some precut plastic parts. I was never as precise as nonickrick, nor did my models turn out so beautifully. Great idea to use the inkjet for color and markings!