Storage question?

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
For all you master refillers I know this is a very basic question, but I am about to place into storage 2 printers; an HP C4180 and a Canon ip1600. They both use the double cart system, one being a tri-color. Both have quite a bit of ink left in them. Since the printheads are in the carts themselves, what I"m thinking is just clip the carts and place them in plastic zip loc bags and place these with their cords with the printers in their respective boxes.

Is this the best way to store a printer?
Will a hot garage damage a printer or the carts?

Thank you for any advice you can give.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I think you are storing your cartridges the best way possible but they still may not work after a long storage no matter how you store them but it's no big deal with that kind of cartridge if this happens because you can just buy more.

Heat is the worst thing to expose anything to for long time storage but I would guess your printer would survive with no problem. A new printer of this type probably won't cost much more than the cost of new cartridges anyway.

In my opinion, this type of printer is too expensive to operate anyway and I would just donate or recycle it just to get rid of it.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
For the black cartridges I think using storage clips is OK, but be careful with the tri-colour cartridges. I once ruined a HP 78 cartridge, that I had refilled successfully, by storing it in a clip like the like the black one with only one pad. Cyan ink crept into the the yellow nozzles turning the yellow green. No amount of cleaning could remove the green. The clear clip with 3 separate pads is much safer and causes no cross contamination. Picture here : http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/6881_hp78_clips.jpg

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr
Thanks. I will store the printers in my home, not the garage.

PeterBJ
I would love to know where you got the clear clips? Thanks.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The clear storage clip came with a remanufactured cartridge. So not much help here, but now you know what to look for when searching the web.

The black clip is designed to work with blue tape sealing the printhead. I bought some blue tape, but I never had any success with it, it would not stick to the printhead. Maybe this was caused by the tape being taken from a roll and transferred to a strip of non-stick paper, as I only bought a small amount of tape, not an expensive roll of tape.

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks PeterBJ. I'll be on the lookout for those clear clips. In the meantime I'll just use the baggie trick.

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
in dry place far from sun