Storage Clips for Cli-8 anf BGI-5bk

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Redbrickman
The top vents are probably making up for changes in atmospheric pressure, however I am guessing that the inner tube is not that flat on the top of the cart and therefore the seal is not completely airtight.
From a engineering perspective it is a fact that something can be watertight but the same seal would not be totally airtight. So that in my mind means that the rubber band stops ink leaking out of the outlet, but air can move freely in and out of the serpentine.
Again I will put my best foot forward and disagree with that
because Tom's Tank Tube is clearly tight all round the cartridge see http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=42803#p42803

This little invention is doing both jobs at once and until proven otherwise its doing it 100% of the time, in my mind anyway.
So lets try it out and see how many will recommend, promote or use it for their cartridge storage.

Now I have a big foot and some say mouth but it will fit if necessary
and there will be plenty of room left for the ceremonial humble pie too.. :lol:

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Perhaps another photo will answer some questions. You can see how the rubber bike tube hugs the tank over the vent. You can also see the small electrical tape patch I put over the fill hole to eliminate any air getting sucked in during the purge cycle (just a little extra insurance). Of course there are about as many bicycle inner tube sizes and types as there are Canon Printer models. I was lucky that the old tube my son gave me seemed to be perfect.
1300_pict0022_small.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
An update on the Toms Tank Tubes
I have managed to get an old Tube and try out this wonderful idea of Tom Hooks.
They do the job marvellously but however it doesnt seal the top air vent 100% as I earlier taught. :(

I used an empty BCI-6 cartridge to blow into the drill hole and was able to get air to exit from the vent hole.
It wasnt easy as this rubber tube has a good hold on the top of the cartridge and expressing air out took some pressure.

As I have six of these tank tubes cut already I will be using these today on some of my stored cartridges.
Despite my initial setback with the air vent not being completely airtight
I still have every confidence in them as a good alternative to the tape and orange shoe method that I had being using.

All I got to do now is find a place to put my shoes, because I have somewhere else to put my feet..:lol:

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Request for information; It would be helpful if the members that have tried this tube method would give information regarding the size of the inner tube they used. On post #6 I stated the tube I used had a diameter of approximately one inch. I remeasured more accurately and find the ID to be 1.125 inches (about 29mm), with a wall thickness of approximately 0.035 inches (almost 1mm). By gathering more information of what works, and what is not satisfactory, it may help others that want to try this approach.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sorry for not mentioning the size that I was using, all I could get was a tube with a dia. of 38mm 1.
As I said mine worked fine but I didnt quite get an airtight seal on top with no leaks whatsoever.

Now to get back to my lunch (feet taste terrible but are a great chew).. :rolleyes:

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Tom Hock said:
Request for information
If you want to try out different sizes ... consider the following ... ask at a bicycle shop for their throw-away flats.

TMI?
I used to be in a bicycle club ... many years and pounds ago. Serious riders tend to have a variety of sizes, and are always trying out the "latest and greatest" to shave maybe 1/4th ounce (or less) from rolling weight. I was one of the few that patched my tires ... most people threw away their flats.

My speculation is that if you went to a bicycle shop and asked for tubes with flats, you could have all you want of every size you could imagine. A road racer will not blink at spending $10 to $15+ on an ultra-light, ultra-tough, ultra-stretchy tube, especially if sponsored. Probably same for mountain bike racer.

There are probably premium tubes thin enough to see through that would be tough enough to stretch around and enclose a orange and maybe even a grapefruit. The inner tube for $50 to $100+ USD sew-up racing tires might be perfect for this application.

Maybe start a thread labeled:
"Feedback pls: using bicycle tube sections as outlet port caps"

I believe that your idea has the potential to be among the top 5 or 10 "best practices" for refillers, up there with ghwellsjr wicking. Especially for top-refillers like myself. Less so for German refilers, perhaps?

And it doesn't apply to just CLI-8/5 and BCI-6/3 carts ... Probably most Canon carts and perhaps most Epson carts. I'm completely ignorant about HP carts, other than I think some have integrated heads.

Just in my own situation, capping the outlet port is a p.i.t.a. with top-refilling. The oem orange cap isn't really meant to be re-used, imo. The R-Jet Tek #1813 is inexpensive, but somewhat messy as it doesn't really seal the outlet port and you invariably end up with a few drops of excess while the inlet port is open.

I accidentally have a few of some other caps that are the best of those two, and work better, but $1+ is too much, imo. A free solution could possibly make top-refilling almost as easy and mess-free as German refilling.

Some of the engineers here could probably make suggestions on testing the leak-proofness of this idea. Maybe some kind of slow speed centrifuge? You really want to see how this would work with the cart holding perhaps 1 to 2+ psi over and under atmospheric pressure for an hour or so? I wouldn't expect it to handle more than +/- 5 psi ... at most.

Maybe have a filled cart put in a chamber that can subject it to a partial vacuum and see what happens? I suppose the same contraption that can create a partial vacuum could be used to generate a partial over-pressure.

Thanks For Suggesting This!!!!!

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
this not new but for people who have not seen this storage before these are the orange clips from precision colors and a lock n lock storage box from the local food market the box is $2.00 and the clips are $1.00 if i was going to mail a cartridge to any one i would cover the maze vent with electrical tape otherwise i see no reason to cover the maze vent even for long term storage
2123_img_0089.jpg

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think I found the smallest size tube that would be acceptable with the narrow dye ink tanks, but not the thicker pigment black tanks. I had a twenty year old (new) tube marked 700 X 28C-32C and 27 X 1 1/8 1 that I bought at a yard sale for 25 cents years ago. This tube measures 0.75 inches ID (19mm) with a wall thickness of 0.045 inches (1.15mm). It is thicker than I would like, and the rubber may have hardened somewhat over twenty years, but the tubes I cut to 0.75 inches wide installed easily enough with the aid of a craft stick as shown in the photo. Given the choice I would prefer the larger one inch (26mm) ID tube which is easier to install. You can easily cut 50 to 100 tubes from a single bike inner tube.

1300_img_2196_small.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Tom Hock I think I found the smallest size tube that would be acceptable with the narrow dye ink tanks,
I have being looking around to see if I can get smaller one too,
because even on the BKe cartridge the ones I have fit to easy.

The big problem Im having is that all of these road bikes have tubeless tyres now
and there not that easy to pick up anymore.

Theres a guy from Connecticut just down the road from me who does a lot of road racing so I will try him later.. :|

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just tried with pgi 520 cli 521 cartridges.

What to say, it's really a great method! :)

The tube that I used measures more or less 24mm and 1mm of thickness.

Thanks for share this. ;)