Staples photo plus gloss with Canon MX870

irha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My apologies if I am missing an old thread, I didn't find anything when I googled. I am trying to find the best settings for this paper on MX870 printer. I tried "Glossy Photo Paper" with standard and high resolution and both gave a grainy print. Before I print a whole lot of pictures and waste ink and paper, I thought of asking here so that I can get the response from someone who already has this combo. Here are some links for product description:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Photo-Plus-Paper-4-x-6-Gloss-100-Pack/product_508431?cmArea=SEARCH
http://www.product-support-staples.com/DisplaySKU.aspx?SKU=508431

I also have the Staples double sided matte photo paper, but I haven't yet experimented or searched to find the right paper type.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Don't know about Canon's inks on the Staples papers, but I've been using pretty much all their papers on my Epsons R1900, 1400 and Artisan 725 with excellent results. I've found super good deals on Ebay on the 4x6 glossy papers so I've been able to load up.

Is the graininess you are seeing actually very minute ink puddling? That is what I get if was to print on any glossy Kodak paper with Epson inks.

irha

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
jtoolman said:
Don't know about Canon's inks on the Staples papers, but I've been using pretty much all their papers on my Epsons R1900, 1400 and Artisan 725 with excellent results. I've found super good deals on Ebay on the 4x6 glossy papers so I've been able to load up.

Is the graininess you are seeing actually very minute ink puddling? That is what I get if was to print on any glossy Kodak paper with Epson inks.
Thanks for the response, and sorry about the late response, I was expecting an email alert and didn't realize that I didn't subscribe.

It is not ink puddling, it just feels like a low quality print. In fact, if I use a magnifying glass and view the print, it feels somewhat like a newspaper color print, only slightly better. I am trying to print a passport sheet created from epassportphoto.com, which has a resolution of 200. While it is not the best resolution for print, I have printed their photos long back with the same resolution and the passport photos came out good.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
And I assume you can get a good smooth looking, not grainy print with say, Cannon Paper?
I do not own any Cannon Printers so I am not too familiar with their specific driver settings, on some Epsons there are somtimes a Photo RPM setting that can only be accessed in advanced mode.
As I said, I get outstanding results and quality with any of their papers on my Epson R340, 1400, Artisan 725 and even on the pigment based R1900. Even on the plain Photo setting. I have made profiles for each of the printers / Staples paper combinations which will help with matching my calibrated screen. Nothing to do with what you are describing tough. Just to illustrate the trouble I've gone too because these paper are that good. Can you post a scan of one of your Cannon printed photos along with the same area from the original file?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Jasoland. The OP did not ask anything about the papers you are refering to. Besides your link if for LASER printing not inke ject photographic image printing.