Staples Buying Empty Cartridges

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I just got an email from Staples today announcing a change in their ink recycling plan to go into effect on 3/15/2013. In order to get the $2 credit for up to 10 carts per month, you have to spend $30 on ink cartridges. So take one last trip to Staples in the next two weeks.

The plan that Office Depot has may now be better. It looks like you only have to spend $20 to get $20 in credit. However, when I checked on their plan several years ago, they had a complicated scheme that involved a three-month Rewards Period that was very confusing. Their website specifically states that you can forfeit your rewards if you don't do things just right.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
ghwellsjr said:
I just got an email from Staples today announcing a change in their ink recycling plan to go into effect on 3/15/2013. In order to get the $2 credit for up to 10 carts per month, you have to spend $30 on ink cartridges. So take one last trip to Staples in the next two weeks.

The plan that Office Depot has may now be better. It looks like you only have to spend $20 to get $20 in credit. However, when I checked on their plan several years ago, they had a complicated scheme that involved a three-month Rewards Period that was very confusing. Their website specifically states that you can forfeit your rewards if you don't do things just right.
Bummer!

Wayne

slocumeddie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I recycled my ink carts for the month of February today (February 28th). Along with a receipt for the carts, I received a notice of "Staples Rewards program update", which I quote below....verbatim.......except for bold, underline or other accents which are mine.

*********************************************************************************************

"Starting 3/15/13, there will be a change to your ink recycling benefit. You will receive $2 back in rewards for each ink or toner cartridge recycled up to your normal ink recycling limits, if you have spent at least $30 on ink or toner in the past 180 days. Ink and/or toner purchases made on the date of recycling are calculated toward minimum purchase requirement. Minimum purchase requirement net of coupons, taxes, and shipping charges. We will recycle additional cartridges but rewards will only be issued for 10 per month per Base or Plus customer and 20 per calendar month per premium customer."

*********************************************************************************************

I hope this helps clarify the change.......

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Did you get the impression that spending $30 one time will entitle you to turn in 10 cartridges per month for six months?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
And can I use my rewards to buy $30 worth of ink cartridges to qualify for $120 more in rewards over the next six months?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
ghwellsjr said:
And can I use my rewards to buy $30 worth of ink cartridges to qualify for $120 more in rewards over the next six months?
I found out today that the answer to my question is no, even though last month I was told by salespersons in several stores and when I called Staples that the answer was yes.

You have to dole out $30 of your own money every six months to qualify, which makes sense, I just don't know why they didn't make it clear from the beginning.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Today I took ten more cartridges into a Staples to recycle and it suddently dawned on me that maybe my six-month period had expired so I asked the clerk whether Staples would be alerting me when this would happen and I was told "No". Just to confirm, I called the 800 number on the back of the card and was told the same thing. We have to keep track of when the 180-day period is up (that's just under six months). I also asked when my time would be up and I was told that my last purchase was in May so I thought I had a lot of time. However, when I looked at this thread, it seemed like it had to be earlier so I went on staples.com and logged on to my account to check my purchasing history for ink and toner and discovered that in May I had used rewards to buy ink which does not qualify. I actually made my qualifying purchase a month earlier so I'm still good into the beginning of next month (October).

So this is a warning to all those that are recycling ten cartridges every month, go online and check your purchasing history for ink that you actually paid at least $30 for and then count 180-days to make sure you'll get credit for your next recycling. In the next month after it does expire, I suggest waiting until near the end of the month to make your qualifying purchase at which time you can also submit your ten recycled cartridges.