Stainless Screw & O-Ring Seal Leak - Cross contamination - PICS

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Yes, by next week I'll make them available separately in packages of 5 for a nominal charge but are included in bulk ink kits.

You should not use them if screws have been used in the hub before as mentioned the screw threads would have cut into the hub ring. The Canon ball hub is nice and strong and has a nice circular constriction band that squeezes on the side and ensures a seal. The plug has a long hole down the middle to allow compliancy and allows the body to go beyond the resticting band and therein lies the mushroom effect that plugs the hole really well.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
They are now available as item number # 130196053947 in Ebay.

Mention nifty stuff and you will get a couple more thrown in for spares!

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Milkling thank you for the update on the silicone plugs.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Update: I have discovered some molds from Canon are not perfectly consistent. In some cases the constricting band on the hub is just a teeny weenie too tight and prevents the plug from being inserted fully. In these cases use a 5/32" drill bit to open it up a bit and then all is right again. All functions are retained and still seals perfectly.

Further Update: It looks like the above only occurs on PGI-5 cartridges. Otherwise on the CLI-8 and BCI-6, no variances seem to be occurring thus far.

For those who find pulling the ball is too much work, then simply drill a hole with a 5/32" bit and the plugs work fine as well.

SetinMP500.jpg

Johnny Z

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wow! This is what I've been searching for... the plugs look great.

Thanks a million!

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score

Wondering_Mike

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
nifty-stuff.com said:
...the cross contamination ...
I think you chose the right words there. I'm no expert on bacteria and/or fungus but it looks to me that bacteria had a lunch party in your cartrigde. This could have produced gas (I assume the cart with the O-ring was 'air tight') which tore the O-ring apart as the amount of CO2 increased. Resulting in an yellow sea of ink.

If read stories before that bacteria can have a preference for printer ink. The nasty buggers will grow anywhere.

Or the printer ink may have crystallized but seeing the 'fuzzy' hairs on the yellow ink residue I fear this is the work of bacteria.