Spammers going crazy!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I'm seeing HUGE increased spam activity on all my forums. Not sure what it is about the new year that is causing this, but thought I'd let you guys know.

Happy New Year!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
haha... I think it's funny that you signed your post "ED" ;)

You'd think the spammers would at least try to focus their efforts by posting printer related stuff here vs. the totally random stuff like "Buy all seasons of LOST on DVD!"

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Rob,

Actually I suspect there are some very subtile spammers, actually giving us quite good advise on printer and refill related stuff, but after a few posts a certain company is mentioned time after time to indoctrinate us with this specific company and why not just give it a click on the weblink ? These are the most tenacious and most dangerous types of spammers, because most of us cannot make up if it is spam or not. But the ultimate goal is for you to go to their websites in the end, so it must be considered as spam.

They will always give some way of (mild) critism on other companies and telling you that their experience with that particular company is better than the others, the ones which are not their own. They will keep mentioning the same company again and again in almost every reply to someone having problems with printing and/or refilling. I discovered at dpreview.com, where the posted topics almost becomes hilarious, I must think of myself: are you guys so crazy to mention your company again and again, even the ink they sell does not fit the printer, the topic starter is having ?

Anyone interested in some left-overs of sildenafil or tadalafil tablets ranging from 10 to 20 mg ?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
You're right, there are some very crafty spammers out there, but those are a very small and unique group. Fortunately the time and energy required to really "sneak one past" our very intelligent members is pretty significant, and in my experience, they are relatively few and far between. It is the "fly-by" spammers that come in droves, register, post a ton of times, and move to the next forum that really create a lot of the moderation work.

P

printfan1138

OK! So what "If" someone has simply been around the web researching and looking for perhaps months and months and has eventually found a really good site/company/whatever that has proved to be really excellent at least in the opinion of the member? So naturally it is a bit of news that begs to be shared with fellow members and the question is, does that desire to share good news make a member a "spammer"? And what is dangerous about this? Will looking at anything about printing on the web cause us to be somehow injured? I'm pretty sure that our very intelligent membership can handle it and make up their own minds about it. Sorry, I just don't "get it." Anyway, I for one am done suggesting that anyone go to any particular site even if others say they want advice on where to go for equipment. I will stick to simply sharing my personal experiences and let it go at that!

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The problem isn't that someone here shares a good deal that they found. But it must be in the appropriate forum. We have a miscellaneous subforum here just for that. The problem is spammers work for the company they're pushing and post incessantly in every subforum the same stupid post just cut and paste. If you don't catch them early they spread like a disease and other spammers catch on and then cut and paste their own spam. And if you visit some other poorly moderated forum you'll see half the posts end up being spam posts with the other half being spam replies and it gets really annoying. I don't think the Chinese get that it actually drives down business from the very forum you post in to post spam incessantly on that forums. They're better off scamming by email than forums.

P

printfan1138

I see and I do totally understand , especially the part about repeating and repeating what are actually ads for a product. Also if I agree with that or not, it is your site and your rules and I do respect that. While I'm not into that myself but do enjoy and even feel a duty to pass on a good experience when I see it I will absolutely not mention any person or web site that is in the business of selling inkjet related products. I hope this is received in the spirit intended and I apologize for any comments or posts I have made in here that look anything like spamming to others! Sincere Regards/Printfan1138

slocumeddie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
printfan1138

I think you are missing the spirit of Rob's initial and follow-up posts on this thread.

If you have usefull information on a topic, (or a product), please share it with other members ! :)