Source for CLI-8 "virgin empties" for printers with 8 die cartridges?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
In a related thread dealing with having a set of cleaning carts and transport carts to go on-location
For my budget, it does become expensive to have a "dedicated set" of transport CLI-8 cartridges. Or a dedicated set of cleaning carts.
Is there a source to get low cost empties for all 8 of the CLI-8 carts that go in a Pro-9000? On eBay, I've found numerous vendors who offer the 5 ink set which includes pigment-black, die-black, die-cyan, die-magenta, and die-yellow.

For transport carts to go "on-location", I suppose empty unchipped BCI-6 carts of any color would work. But for cleaning carts to prepare the print-head for transport according to ghwellsjr guidance, I'd need all 8 carts that the 9000-2 recognizes, including the Red, Green, Photo-Magenta, and Photo-Cyan.

It's a "budget cruncher" to buy a complete set of eight Canon oem CLI-8 carts, use up the ink in them, and have those as empty cleaning carts. About the best price I've seen on those is $90 for a complete set of eight.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Most people on here also use OEM carts and not empty 3rd party cartridges often sold on ebay. Since the Canon cart has some features like two piece sponge and other airways I prefer to use the real thing albeit refilled ;)

Apart from cleaning the head you may find that the Red and Green will last as long as your project runs.

For the cleaning carts maybe a set of the refillables from a 3rd party would be OK. When you have finished using them to clean the head why not empty them and use them as your Transport carts"?

I don't think a small amount of cleaning fluid will do any damage over a period of a few days, but I am not convinced you need to fit transport carts anyway.

if the head is cleaned and place in something like a ziplock bag then placed in a padded box of some sort it should be good to go.

As an example of transport, I bought a refurbished MP640 from Canon in UK. The printer came with no carts fitted, but the head was in a sealed foil bag. It was not a new head, or at least I don't think so because there was a fluid residue left on the Orange head cover. It worked straight out of the box as soon as I fitted the carts.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Excuse me for straying off the topic, but I just wanted to tell Redbrickman that new Canon print heads contain a light blue conservation fluid. The fluid is removed by print head cleaning, when you turn on the printer first time. So I think your print head was brand new.

Peter.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
PeterBJ,

Thanks for that info, very interesting.

Having noted that I am pretty sure that my other printer, a Pro 9000 MK2 had no fluid in or on the head when I fitted it straight from the box and brand new.

Could be it had a very minimal amount in the head though I would have thought the orange protector would have had some staining.

I am about to clean a spare MP640 head for storage, so maybe I should leave a tiny amount of IPA solution or similar in the head before sealing up?

I am in two minds if it would be helpful, or in the end start some sort of corrosion or fungus growth?

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Ruffin,
Thanks ... Odd combination .... lots of PM (good), Yellow, and Mag, but only 1 of PC, Black-die, Red, Green, Cyan. I did locate an eBay vendor who seems willing to put together a specific combination of empty carts for a reasonable price. We'll see.

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
visit Ross Hardie http://store.inkjetcarts.us/pro-9000-c104.aspx

For 7 or 8 $ you can buy prefilled carts. If you just need the R&G carts, buy those.
If you have used CLI8 carts, but not R&G ask to buy just the chips for R&G and mount them on any of your used CLI8 carts and relabel. His ink is very good, should transition well with our OCP ink, especially when you consider that R&G is rarely used by our printer.

I printed a purge test chart to check the colors some time last year when my ylw dropped out. I noted that my grn stripe (255 G) became bluish and my red stripe (255 R) became magentaish.
This indicated that gen=ylw+blu and red=ylw+mag, why was the grn and red inks not being used to print the red and grn?????

irv weiner

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
Ruffin, Thanks ... Odd combination .... lots of PM (good), Yellow, and Mag, but only 1 of PC, Black-die, Red, Green, Cyan.
Ruffin, Thanks again. The eBay seller is willing to adjust the specific contents of the "bundle" if my bid wins.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
irvweiner said:
This indicated that grn=ylw+blu and red=ylw+mag, why was the grn and red inks not being used to print the red and grn?????
irv weiner
In another post (from ghwellsjr or pharmacist?), I believe they indicated that the MediaType has an influence on whether the CLI-8R-Red and CLI-8G-Green inks are actually used. With the Pro 9000-2 that we both own, IIRC, they are used if the MediaType is PlusGlossy-2 or PaperPro-2. Perhaps other MediatTypes?

But the Red and Green wouldn't be used with "generic" media types. Do you recall which MediaType you specified?

YMMV?

visit Ross Hardie http://store.inkjetcarts.us/pro-9000-c104.aspx For 7 or 8 $ you can buy prefilled carts.
Thanks for the info ... but I may have a source for virgin/empty CLI-8's at under $1.00 each.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
l_d_allan said:
In another post (from ghwellsjr or pharmacist?), I believe they indicated that the MediaType has an influence on whether the CLI-8R-Red and CLI-8G-Green inks are actually used.
Here's my report on the usage of red and green in an i9900:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1977
l_d_allan said:
Thanks for the info ... but I may have a source for virgin/empty CLI-8's at under $1.00 each.
Now don't anyone go bidding the price up on that auction!!