Source for CLI-8 "virgin empties" for printers with 8 die cartridges?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
stratman said:
Hard to picture someone bidding on an auction of 300 CLI-8Y Yellow carts, but they do seem to sell to somebody. The same vendor has batches of single colors, and mixed lots. Is the vendor someone on this forum?

I did send that eBay vendor a message via eBay about getting a "blended mix" specifically for a Pro 9000-2 with 8 CLI-8 die carts. I suspect the quantities involved would be much larger than anything I'd be able to use, but "it doesn't hurt to ask".

So far, my dealings with another eBay vendor at inkjetsforeducation@yahoo.com seem to be proceeding well. They were willing to put together a reasonable quantity "Buy It Now" that was exactly what I specified as far as the number of each color cart. I "pulled the trigger" and went ahead with the transaction. I'll have a follow-up on this thread to describe whether the delivery and contents were as expected. So far, so good.

So a possible lesson to anyone reading this thread ...
If you are building up your inventory of cartridges to refill with non-oem ink, you may not need to pay the exorbitant price to get filled, retail oem Canon cartridges (or Epson/HP/Brother/etc). Figure out what you want, and ask a reputable eBay vendor if they will put together that specific bundle of carts. You may not need to settle for the specific mix they are auctioning, which doesn't fit your preferences.

Note, there is an advantage to having carts that no one else has owned (possibly someone else's junk), but that's expensive. And it could turn out that the transaction with inkjetsforeducation is flawed ... don't know yet.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Just be glad your mix of cartridges are all of the type you want. In the past, I had to purchase mixtures of BCI-6 and cartridges with built-in print heads and some of a type I don't remember the number for but I'm sure glad I didn't throw them away because eventually Staples and OfficeMax allowed $3 credit for recycling any cartridge, not just the limited type they usually accept.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
So far, my dealings with another eBay vendor at inkjetsforeducation@yahoo.com seem to be proceeding well. They were willing to put together a reasonable quantity "Buy It Now" that was exactly what I specified as far as the number of each color cart. I "pulled the trigger" and went ahead with the transaction. I'll have a follow-up on this thread to describe whether the delivery and contents were as expected. So far, so good.
FYI: 30 empties showed up today from inkjetsforeducation@yahoo.com today, delivered by FedEx. They are obviously Canon oem carts, used once with the plastic ball intact. No extra drilled holes. Two foam/sponges and filter in outlet port. Some of the outlet ports look to have some dried ink, but otherwise they look very, very good.

I think I'll barely rinse off the outlet ports, and check that the Pro 9000-2 recognizes them ... they should be detected as empty. Then use a chip resetter and see if they are detected as full (not sure if this will really happen if they are empty?)

I'm not sure if I'll purge them or not. Might be more trouble than it is worth? With 30 of them, I may purge, and then dry out.

Other things to do to check out the carts before using them? Revisions to above?

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Then use a chip resetter and see if they are detected as full (not sure if this will really happen if they are empty?
I'd be careful resetting them empty and trying them in the printer. If it recognises them as empty that's Ok but bear in mind if it does anything else the chances are the head will be heating up. No ink and hot Canon heads spells disaster.

I am a beginner so may not be totally correct here, but I wouldn't take any chances like that with my 9000.

Why not get some good quality ink, remove the ball and top fill them with enough to soak the sponge, then try them out?

You have three sets to play with, and can try one set using the German method if you fancy evaluating both.

I have purged a set of CLI-8's filled them by the top method, and am waiting on my 9000 MK2 running out of ink.

I have never waited so long for a printer to run out of ink :)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
There's no danger to the printer if you put an empty cartridge in it as long as you leave the printer cover open. Just put a cartridge in and see if its light flashes to verify that it registers empty, then take it out, reset it, put it back in and see that the light stays on. Then remove it and move on to your next one.

Just be aware that your printer may suddenly decide to move the carriage back to its park position if you leave the cover open for too long so every minute or so, close the cover when its safe and reopen it. You don't want the carriage moving back to its park position while you have a cartridge half-way inserted.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Just be glad your mix of cartridges are all of the type you want.
I am very pleased with the first batch of 30 virgin empty CLI-8 cartridges from inkjetsforeducation@yahoo.com. When I purged/flushed them, they came out quite clean, with white internal sponges and filters. I checked each of them in the 9000-2 and also a recently acquired Canon PIXMA iP4500. The cartridges were initially detected as the correct color, and either low or empty. When I used the chip resetter, all were detected as full.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
There's no danger to the printer if you put an empty cartridge in it as long as you leave the printer cover open.
Ok, thanks for the guidance.

Redbrickman said:
I'd be careful resetting them empty and trying them in the printer.
Also thanks. However, my impression is that the printer only does a purge of the nozzles when it detects a cartridge has been placed in the printer. I don't think it does the equivalent of a nozzle check, which actually causes the print-head to fire, and could heat up the print-head if the carts were empty.

But I certainly could be mistaken about that.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
l_d_allan said:
However, my impression is that the printer only does a purge of the nozzles when it detects a cartridge has been placed in the printer. I don't think it does the equivalent of a nozzle check, which actually causes the print-head to fire, and could heat up the print-head if the carts were empty.

But I certainly could be mistaken about that.
You are mistaken. In addition to the purge pump sucking on the bottom of the print head, the nozzles are also fired during a clean/purge/prime cycle. But it's not very much so I wouldn't worry about burning out the nozzles by doing any number of cleanings or nozzle checks. It's nothing like printing an image or trying to unclog nozzles by printing a page of a particular color or black. That really fires the nozzles a lot.

And it's not a good idea when you have a badly clogged print head and you're trying to unclog it and you get all except one or two nozzles unclogged and you go ahead and use the printer for a few weeks thinking you'll come back to finish up on those remaining nozzles. By that time, they probably will be permanently "clogged", that is they won't function again because their heating elements are burned out.