Something strange happened to my cartridge...

forzaL

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'll write my story in chronologic order. I refilled both my cartridges of my Canon MP160 with the same ink I used 3 or 4 times before. After a few days or 1 week I printed lots of documents, I estimate half of the cartridges got used. Than I ran out of YELLOW. I though no problem, this has happened to me before, one of the documents had too much of yellow- or orange. 2 or 3 weeks passed until I bought new ink to refill my cartridges, and when I opened the printer, i saw THIS:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7482/strangeo.jpg

Anybody have a clue what that might be? I don't eaven know what that is, so I could do a search on Google. I treied using the word "crystal" and "crystalization", but I found nothing.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Are you sure that isn't a Chia Pet?

There have been previous discussions on bacterial growth in ink, but that is ridiculous. I note that you have removed the tape over the labyrinth on the top of the cart, allowing ambient air to have full access to the ink in the cart. Just a theory, but when covered, the labyrinth provides a tortuous path for the air such that the ink will see only see air with 100% humidity and a lowered oxygen level (as O2 is used, it won't be easily replaced).

As that cart is obviously contaminated, throw it away. On my old HP carts, I covered the labyrinth with a piece of duct tape cut to fit after refilling.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Grandad35..

I never laughed so much after seeing your Chia Pet. I think youre spot on. Sorry forzaL but you must admit it was good..

forzaL

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Don't worry guys, I have a sense of humor too:) Thanks Grandad35! I'm not sure if it's bacteral growth or some soart of crystalization, but I think you're right about covering the labyrinth. I've never read in any instructions before that the labyrinth should be covered, and I thought it's not so important. While being uncovered bacteria could enter on the hole, or minerals that caused a reaction with the ink, or perheaps a mosquito used the hole as a urinal...

I will remove the "thing" and see if the sponge is OK.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
The "Thing" may be a mold or fungus (like mushrooms) that has worked its way down into the cartridge and sponge. Unless you have some way to sterilize the cart, throw it away.

BTW - it is important to leave the little circle in the center uncovered to allow the air pressure inside the cart to equalize with the atmospheric pressure as the ink is used and the barometric pressure changes.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Those AlphaChem bottle/syringes look very much like the ones supplied by Inktec and sold by inkjetcartridge.com but they are slightly different. This is the first time I have seen a container similar to Inktec's.

forzaL

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
yupkime said:
Do you live in a humid environment?
I don't think it's more humid than average, but the place where my printer is, is not ventilated enough.

ghwellsjr said:
Those AlphaChem bottle/syringes look very much like the ones supplied by Inktec and sold by inkjetcartridge.com but they are slightly different. This is the first time I have seen a container similar to Inktec's.
I just want to know if dirt in the ink (that is visible on the image) is normal or not, and could cause the "infection" of my previous cartridge.