Something interesting that might be of interest to some.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It's at $ 238
Is it worth it for all the hassle you have to go through, the Pro 1000 has such large ink tanks to begin with and your hardly going to run out of ink very quickly..

But I have to say it’s a very impressive looking setup and the price has to reflect that..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Yes, a really clever device, but not for me :
1- AFAIK Precision Colors doesn't ships to Europe.
2- I don't own a Pro-1000.

I agree with you. Keeping control of ink levels on a Pro-1000 isn't difficult, unless you're quite careless.
For one thing, 80ml last long and you can remove a tank, weight it, to check how much ink is left and reinsert it without triggering cleaning cycles, because the ink tank doesn't sits on top of the printhead, like lower range models.

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
What you don't know is that the bottom assembly for the Pro-1000 is about $800 CAD plus install. Keep popping those tanks in and out to weight them needlessly and you will run the risk of breaking the plastic retention mechanism underneath.
History of replacements at Canon Service Center even when using OEM tanks. Some people even in EU have seen this happen to them as well.
The irony of larger tanks is that it is human to become complacent and "forget" until it is too late. These are not inexpensive Pro-100 and 10 printheads and people complain about those. The larger the tank the longer the period and the greater the risk of "forgetting" or I have enough to make it this round...been there done that.
Many 1000s are used for commercial activities where the ability to remember to do something is lost in the flurry of getting the job out. Overriding chips and keeping tabs on the ink levels cannot be left to employees or you are inviting disaster.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I have Epson SC-P800 printers and despite the matte/photo black change I am still very happy with these printers and the best of them: refillables are plenty available and here in Europe the refillables shows actual ink level.

My next printer if those printers will fail will be the SC-P900 for those printers refillables and resettters are available.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
For one thing, 80ml last long and you can remove a tank, weight it, to check how much ink is left and reinsert it without triggering cleaning cycles, because the ink tank doesn't sits on top of the printhead, like lower range models.
Actually this was a question I had when I was looking at the Pro-300 and it dawned on me that if you're using refill inks (including refilling from wide format OEM carts), why would you put a part used cartridge back in instead of a completely full one. Obviously it's a different story with OEM but you're not going to get a device like this for OEM cartridges.

So, I can't help but think it'd be just as easy to work out a reasonable timeframe for the most used cartridge to be close to empty and then set a conservative schedule for swapping out full cartridge sets every X days/weeks. The removed/standby set gets topped up ready for the next swap over and that's about it. The only thing that wouldn't allow for is a sudden surge in print job orders so it's not fool proof but still.

Definitely an interesting project. Good luck with it.