some text lines are printed partially split or shaded every 4.4 cm (Windows printer test example)

Bruno HECQUARD

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA PRO-1
Hi guys,
my Canon Pixma PRO-1 having failed with a B200 error, and support having ended two years ago, no more parts available, I was ready for buying a newer model.
I but had the opportunity to get another PRO-1 which I paid 100€.

This second machine but presents a strange behaviour when trying to print text or even images:

==> It starts, and no errors are reported.
==> But, before trying anything, I'd performed a nozzle check which looked perfect as well as a cardridges alignment which performed witout any apparent problem.
==> The paper path seems clean and paper apparently feeds normally.
But the real prints are bad:

Here below two examples of the two manifestation of the issue(s):

1/ on text

Attach files
Scan Test imprimante windows.jpg

2/ An image (A4)
When printing a real image, the phenomenon shows differently, i.e. 4 blank lines spaced 1/5 of inch repeated every 1 3/4 of inch:
Scan Test imprimante image.jpg

So, could it be print head related despite the correct nozzle check, or paper path management issues?
What could I else check ?

I must precise also that this machine was stocked by the owner for a few months, and was using Tinko Ink cartridges.
Their levels are above 50%

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance from France
Bruno

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
I'd probably print a nozzle check to see what's up but would otherwise stop using the printer until someone else more familiar with that model chimes in. Continuous printing with a clogged nozzles/ink flow problems can kill the printhead.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This second machine but presents a strange behaviour when trying to print text or even images:
Stop all test prints and post a nozzle check here, that will show the extent of your problem, there’s no point in saying it’s this or that without seeing the evidence first..

Bruno HECQUARD

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA PRO-1
Hi James,

as written at the beginning of my initial post, I'd started by performing a nozzle check as well as a Head Alignment test which both provided perfect results.
I then succeeded to put the machine in Service Mode and to communicate using the Canon Service Tool V3400.
The resulting attached test print also doesn't demonstrate any issues.
2023-12-09 Nozzle check.jpg

2023-12-09 Head Alignment.jpg

2023-12-09 Canon Service tool v3400 test.jpg

Therefore, I'd better suspect something related to paper movement than a Print Head issue.
But if anybody has ideas about any further troubleshooting steps ...

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
Hi James,

as written at the beginning of my initial post, I'd started by performing a nozzle check as well as a Head Alignment test which both provided perfect results.
I then succeeded to put the machine in Service Mode and to communicate using the Canon Service Tool V3400.
The resulting attached test print also doesn't demonstrate any issues.View attachment 15722
View attachment 15723

View attachment 15724

Therefore, I'd better suspect something related to paper movement than a Print Head issue.
But if anybody has ideas about any further troubleshooting steps ...
Not sure if the CO channel is supposed to look that way (or the rest of the nozzle check) however the black swatch being okay in the nozzle check but having lines in the printout (and from what it looks to be the larger color swatch in the final test print?) seems to suggest an ink flow issue to me.

Again this printer is very different to what i am used to so its better to wait for others to chime in.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The resulting attached test print also doesn't demonstrate any issues.
You may have several things going on that could give you that output your experience, the good thing is your print head is ok to start with, you could try cleaning the timing stripe that runs behind the back of the print head. (Not easy of this model)

Secondly one of the grey inks may also be having an issue, where some of the pigment could have lodged somewhere in the system, it will clean up with more use but I’d try using a better ink when that tank becomes empty..

You can try running 6 or 7 more of the north lights monochrome image and see if that helps clear the channel, the more use the better..

You asked about the CO printout in your nozzle check.. That is normal, because it has to use a colour background so you can see it is working properly..

Now I don’t know why your using Service mode, but I’d strongly suggest you don’t ever use it again, you may have been lucky this time but the printer can react very strongly to it and lock you out of all operations and there’re no come back from that..

Bruno HECQUARD

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA PRO-1
Warm thank you, The Hat,

I did launch the Service tool only in order to get, I hopped so, a bit more of information about that printer conditions, i.e the waste tank level which looks ok <50%. Should there be really so much risks using it if I don't ever try to perform any adventurous fonctions/counter resets or other dangerous operations?

Thank you for the timing strip hypothesis which I'll have a look to.
As the printeer was somehow "archived" and perhaps not in optimal stocking conditions, in an old house, probably some humidity, it may be the case that there are some moisture or depots on the strip. i'll let you know.
And I'll also try the multiple grey image prints as you suggest.

I've already replaced several non oem cartridges and will continue as soon as I'll get reasonnable certitudes that I can succeed to save this machine from the bin :-(

Bruno HECQUARD

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA PRO-1
Will I get sufficient information from the service manual to access and inspect the timing strip? Or would you have a link to a suitable how-to?

Bruno HECQUARD

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA PRO-1
I've openned the printer: both sides, and upper cover.

I've discovered something interesting on the left side, on the rear plastic transparent disc

I suppose that this system serves to monitor the paper movement.

2023-12-11 Ink on plastic disc.jpg

I'm now starting to clean it, as well as perhaps if possible the optical sensor below.
I would like to not dismount further if possible as I do see how precise and technical this looks.

Bruno HECQUARD

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA PRO-1
Ta da !!!

2023-12-11 Scan Keith Cooper Test Image after repair.jpg

After having performed a thorough and cautious cleaning of all the elements involved, i.e.
  • the disc,
  • the belt,
  • and the pulley,
I then had a look to the rest of the system which looks clean.
I didn't find other traces of ink elsewhere.

I then managed to reassemble the covers and restarted the printer.

I but did encounter a 6700 (CR2032 loss of power) at startup which I bypassed using the nice tutorial provided some time ago by Swisscow (Canon Pixma PRO-1 (partly) demystified).

I just cannot succeed to open the battery compartment from the front, below the left cartridge cover, in order to replace the CR2032. Do I miss something or should I insist?

My first printout of Keith Coper's Test image being very good, I decided to celebrate the success by offering a Canson A4 Glossy RC sheet of paper to the printer. See attached result.

I'll monitor until all non Canon ink cartridges will have exhausted.

Thanks to @The Hat and @swisscow for the tips.