Some observations when profiling budget level glossy papers

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
when the volumes have a significant different shape. Good example is comparing sRGB with a gamut of a printer profile.

I have a little surprise here - if you don't handle profiles frequently - I compare the LS270 profile not just to sRGB but to AdobeRGB - it excels even AdobeRGB - there are 2 areas where the LS270 profile protrudes from the AdobeRGB profile at the light blue sections - wow - should I say what a great paper that is - and this with a 7ct paper !!!

Gamut 06.jpg

(The AdobeRGB gamut is yellow)

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100
Yes, and there are even paper gamuts, which can exeed ProPhoto RGB in small areas. So even with the best monitor printers can print colors you can’t see on the screen. That’s why soft proofing is a simulation. This is why you have to develop your picture to the aimed ink/paper/printer combination, if you really want to get the most out of it.
It is as ever with this 80 to 20 rule. Fortunately very often the easier 80% are sufficient for what I want and I need.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Yes, and there are even paper gamuts, which can exeed ProPhoto RGB in small areas.
I can't reach ProPhotoRGB with my 7ct paper but I'll try with the paper of my next order - it is a challenge.....

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
And there is yet another property of cast coated/budget gloss papers - how much they bend and curl after print. You don't need any sophisticated test equipment in this case.

Curl 01.jpg

I printed a test image on 4 different paper types - all papers are stored in the same room, and where I printed them, and I gave them 2 days for a rest and stretch in whatever direction.
These are the papers from left to right - Druckfuxx 250gr Ebay - Glossy 260 Ebay - LS250 Amazon - Hayatec 240 Ebay. This is the only paper which just stays flat. This may not be an issue with these papers but I'm printing as well on thinner doubled sided papers, I cannot print just 30 front pages in one run and then the rear side - the sheets are already that much deformed that they hit the printhead and leave black streaks on the paper, I need to print them double sided in smaller batches of 5 sheets to prevent this effect.

( I cannot find back the Hayatec paper on Ebay at this time , the bag carries the name 'Hayatec' but the vendor does not use this name in the product description so I cannot search for it)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Ink stained Fingers, you’ve been a bust boy… :thumbsup
You didn’t seem to have much trouble posting over the weekend.

I’ve been locked out for the past two days, with a static home page..
This place has gone to the dogs because when it is running it’s as slow as paint drying..:eek:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You didn’t seem to have much trouble posting over the weekend.
Actually I did as well but didn't use the internet much over the weekend so it was not a real problem.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I found a vendor for the Hayatec paper, a cast coated paper mentioned above in this test cycle and in this thread
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/fading-of-inkjet-papers.14733/post-128636

showing particular other performance details of this paper - fast fading -

This paper is sold via Amazon

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07W5Q7R44?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

The name 'Hayatec' does not show up in the product title/description so it is not possible to search for it directly but the product image showed up in a google ad in another search.

This paper runs at 19,90€ +S/H for 100 sheets which is almost 3x the price of the Logic Seek papers but definitely not 3x better in any respect, the Aldi/Sihl QuickDry 0769 is available already at this price as a PE/RC paper, or other papers of this type at this pricing level, this shows the difficulties to find a paper with a decent performance/pricing ratio - this paper is just too expensive for its performance.

Last edited:

Latest posts