Some Grainy Colours with Canon MP499

Tasha7

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP495
Hi! Hoping for some help/advice.

I am using a Canon Inkjet MP499 and using Canon Inks and am having trouble with some colours printing grainy. I've attached an example, the dark green and blue on the left show this problem. Whereas the light blue on the right looks fine! I am using a textured paper. Could the paper be the problem? If yes, I would have thought all colours would look grainy?

Have tried cleaning the printheads and using new ink cartridges. I've also tried changing the green using different values of cmyk to no avail.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Print Out.jpg
    Print Out.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 327

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I am using a textured paper
what type of paper is it - suitable for inkjet printing ? Do you have a link to the supplier ? Effects like that can be caused by the paper - if it is not of an inkjet type - or the ink saturation is too high - it may print with with lighter color tones but not with darker colors which are mixed with cyan and magenta to get blue. If you don't have problems with other papers - e.g. glossy photo papers or alike your effect is likely caused by the paper type.

Tasha7

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP495
Thanks for your reply! I'm using Zeta Linen 260gsm which I bought from a local printer. They did say it was inkjet compatible but I'm going to experiment with some other paper types - thanks for your suggestion! It's a shame as it's my favourite paper.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
when I google for 'Zeta linen' it does not specify specifically that it is suitable for inkjet printing, it is apprently a paper with a structured surface - there are plenty of those available with inkjet coating in the section of fine art papers - cotton rag and alike , you may look for an inkjet paper supplier in your country and test them , such suppliers typically can offer sample packs of different papers.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @Tasha7, @Ink stained Fingers is correct about your choice of paper, I too have used ZETA Matte and Satin and it is not suitable for good quality graphics, try using the Conquer range of papers instead, they work fine...
P.S. You’d want to have deep pockets printing on the MP 499 using OEM cartridges... :(