Some areas pink whilst other black?

Dicky Art

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma MG5650
I have just tried to print out pictures of "Misty" our dog on glossy photo paper.
However parts of her nose and mouth should be Black are pink! Other areas of the photo are black and have printed OK. All cartridges are full. Mix of makes. Print head has been cleaned and nozzle check is good. The canon pixma MG5650 setting are correct. The same pictures print fine on normal printing paper. The photos were taken with an EOS400D. Ones taken by my phone are OK.
What is going on please?

Dicky Art

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma MG5650
Photos taken from a Panasonic HD video are also good.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you also post the photo of the dog and a scan of the print showing the defect, please?

The photo printing normally on plain paper but not on photo paper suggests a problem with the photo black cartridge. I suggest to try a new OEM cartridge.

Dicky Art

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma MG5650
Seems odd when not all areas on photo paper affected. Leaning more towards the camera! Would display the nozzle check but it doesn't scan well, but does look good and the printer says no cleaning required!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
When plain paper is selected as printing media pigment black ink is used. When photo paper is selected photo (dye) black ink is used. When the printing is only bad on photo paper but OK on plain paper I think there is a problem with ink starvation of the photo black.

I have tested more than one brand of aftermarket PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridges, both refillable and single use, and the quality varies a lot. An often seen problem is ink starvation.

Ink starvation often doesn't show in a nozzle check, but only when more ink is used in for instance printing a photo.

You can get a good scan of a nozzle check using the CIS scanner in the MG5650 if you use the proper settings, that are not the default settings, see this post.