Solved

lffoar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS6360a
Hi all,
some time since I've needed help but I'm back due to this problem:
I changed cartridges on my MX726 but I got the message the magenta was not recognised. I've had this before
as I use after market cartridges so did the usual, turn off, unclip, turn back on etc.
No luck but when I pushed down on the magenta the cartridge light went on, so I got a torch and saw that the
two middle contacts are lower than they should be as per the pic.
I must have done this putting the cartridge back in, ( I'm known for my clumsiness )
Point is......can I fix it and if so, how?
Thanks,
Harry

Attachments

• P1030047.JPG
    P1030047.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Point is......can I fix it and if so, how?
I am sure there’s someone here that knows how to short out one of the four prongs to pretend there’s a cart present, failing that try soldering some wire onto the cart chip to extend the contacts to meet the misplaced prongs.. You got nothing to lose..

lffoar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS6360a
Good to hear from you "Hat", been a while. I tried prying the chip up a bit and thought of the solder bit
but it's all getting too hard for this ol' boy so the bloody thing will probably finish in the tip or give it to someone for parts. Can you tell me whether 651 carts will do the job on a printer with 681 carts? I put another post up about this but you d' man 🎩

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I put another post up about this but you d' man
I don’t know why you say that, because I’m getting Feckin old too..

Now both the 651 and 681 carts are interchangeable, but to use these carts you need to swap over the chips from one cart to the other, while the carts are the same the chips are not..

You could always try gluing a small piece of bent paper clip to your cart chip instead of soldering, like in the shape of a U, to make sure they make contact with the smaller pins in the printer..

lffoar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS6360a
You could always try gluing a small piece of bent paper clip to your cart chip instead of soldering, like in the shape of a U, to make sure they make contact with the smaller pins in the printer..

Had a crack "Hat" but stuffed it up proper! Super glue spilled, one pin fell into printer, etc. snafu
It's the bin for it me bucko, subject closed. Thanks for your help M8 and if I ever get to Ireland, I'll buy you a few Guinness or Bourbons.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Now both the 651 and 681 carts are interchangeable, but to use these carts you need to swap over the chips from one cart to the other, while the carts are the same the chips are not......
Even if the subject was closed by the OP I think a tip for transferring paper thin Canon OEM chips without ruining them might be useful, so see this thread.

The chips on non-OEM cartridges are usually made from an epoxy/fibre glass circuit board material. You can cut the four nibs holding the chip and lift it off without risk of breaking it.

Here is a scan of a non-OEM and an OEM CLI-551 BK cartridge, notice different chips:

CLI-551 non  OEM- OEM 1.jpg

lffoar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS6360a
Even if the subject was closed by the OP I think a tip for transferring paper thin Canon OEM chips without ruining them might be useful, so see this thread.

Thanks Peter, bit of good info there. FWIW I tipped the Mx726 and got a TS6360 on the cheap cheap :thumbsup

Latest posts