Transferring newer paper thin Canon chips.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
In this post @mikling warns that the yellow ink used in CLI-x51 Y/CLIx71 Y cartridges has the same gelling problem as the CLI-42 Y ink if mixed with aftermarket inks or even plain water.

So if you want to refill one of the CLI-x51 Y/CLIx71 Y cartridges you will need to flush it very carefully with Windex or similar. This is difficult as the cartridges are opaque, so you cannot check the progress of the cleaning.

Another solution is to use a refillable aftermarket cartridge with an ARC chip, but the chips can come out of sync with the ink content in the cartridge and some of the refillable cartridges suffer from inkflow and leakage problems. If it were not for the yellow problem the use of a resetter and refilling OEM XL cartridges would be the best solution.

If an OEM yellow chip could be transferred to a refillable cartridge the cartridge could be topped up and the chip resat so so ink content and indicated ink level don't come out of sync. Another and better solution might be transferring the yellow chip to an OEM XL cartridge of another colout that has been carefully flushed.

Removing the OEM chips without ruining them has been considered almost impossible, see this post by @The Hat . But I stumbled upon an instruction for transfer of these thin chips from a German company. It seems they have sold aftermarket cartridges without chips so the chips needed to be transferred from the used OEM cartridges, just like in the early days of the PGI-5/CLI-8 chips.

Google translate of the instruction is not very good but the images say most of it. In short you first cut the four nibs that hold the chip in place, then you loosen the glue holding the chip in place by submerging the cartridge in hot water (90-100 C/194-212 F) for approximately 20 seconds. It seems the glue holding the chips is hot melt glue.

The chip is held in place on the new cartridge by a small piece of double sided sticky tape.

I will add that it is important that the chip is dry before mounting it on a new cartridge. I have ruined a chip by spilling ink onto it and not making sure it was completely dry after cleaning it and before inserting the cartridge in a printer.

Last edited:

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
I found that the paper chip seems to come off more easily when you twist it rather than pulling it straight out maybe a combination of the two methods could yield a less risky way of swapping such paper chips ?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Have you tried "the hot water treatment"? and does it work?

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
Using 2 empty starter cartridges i was able to remove the chips straight using hot water.It does softens the glue really well that it comes off with little amount of force compared to twisting it off or pulling straight off without any treatment.I did not test the chips in the printer but i would guess it should be fine as long as it was properly dried.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you very much for your testing and report. :thumbsup

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
I have just started refilling for the first time. Pro-100. CLI-42. Octoink.TThe only cart I have not refilled yet is the Yellow. After some consideration I plan to completely flush out the CLI-42 and not use the CLI-8.

May I ask a question please?
While I am in no way ignorant regarding the infamous Yellow Gello phenomenon which I have seen discussed/warned about all over the place, what I have not seen mention even once is that if Yellow Gello forms inside the Print Head with even a minuscule trace of OEM Yellow coming into contact with 3rd Party Yellow… inside the Cart… what about the vast amounts of trace OEM Yellow within the Print Head itself? No concerns have been raised regarding thoroughly flushing out the Print Head, only the Cart. So much so as it is advised to never use the OEM-42 and instead use a CLI-8.
I just don't get it. What am I missing here?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You start off with Window cleaner (W5) will do, that usually gets rid of most if not all the OEM yellow, then you can switch and rinse with pharmacist solution, the trick is never start with water or avoid it if possible.

The printer will take care of the print head itself, once you install the newly refilled cartridges the printer will flush the head of any remaining ink and replace it with your new ink...

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Another tip... If the chips are really held on with hot glue then just dribble some Iso propyl alcohol (IPA) on it. After a few secs the hot glue just peels off :D
I use hot glue a lot and IPA is just great for removing it if you need to get things apart.