Solution to Pro-100 printing slower than others

Richie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro-100
I run 4 of these printers and noticed one of them was lagging behind the others. Taking twice as long to finish the same job. The drivers, profiles, settings etc.. were all the same. I wracked my brain for for several days trying to figure it out and then it started happening to one of the others as well. Didn't matter if it was WIFI or USB.

The fix was stupidly easy. In that time frame I had been trying out several different papers and settings (profiling etc..) and for some reason I disabled "detect paper width" while messing around with it. Turns out when it's disabled, the printer slows down considerably, probably to not over spray on non standard sizes.

As soon as I enabled it, everything went back to normal on all printers.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Well done on figuring things out. Thank you for the informative post. :thumbsup

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Thanks for the tip. I have to check this with my Pro10s.
Right now this feature is disabled. As I often cut custom paper sizes from a roll, it's normal that the final sheet ends up being 1mm. larger or narrower than the size set on the driver and then the machine refuses to print.
Frankly, I didn't notice any slow down after disabling paper width detection. Pro10s owners know well that this lady prints beautifully but it's slooooow. Way slower than my former Pro9000.

Update : I tested with a DINA4 print - settings: standard quality, semigloss paper.
Paper width detection disabled: 2' 43"
Paper width detection enabled: 2' 25"
There's a difference although in this case not big but, with A3 paper and high quality setting, time might be reduced maybe one or two minutes per print.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Me. I’ve always had "detect paper width" turned off on all my printers, I found it more a hindrance that a help, and I’ve never noticed the slowness of any of the printers, quite mode also slows a printer down, and when printing photos it’s the quality of the print that counts not how fast it finishes..

My Pro 9500 is a slow auld cow but I love it to bits.. :hugs

Richie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro-100
Thanks for the tip. I have to check this with my Pro10s.
Right now this feature is disabled. As I often cut custom paper sizes from a roll, it's normal that the final sheet ends up being 1mm. larger or narrower than the size set on the driver and then the machine refuses to print.
Frankly, I didn't notice any slow down after disabling paper width detection. Pro10s owners know well that this lady prints beautifully but it's slooooow. Way slower than my former Pro9000.

Update : I tested with a DINA4 print - settings: standard quality, semigloss paper.
Paper width detection disabled: 2' 43"
Paper width detection enabled: 2' 25"
There's a difference although in this case not big but, with A3 paper and high quality setting, time might be reduced maybe one or two minutes per print.
Yeah that's not much of a difference at all. My results on the pro-100 were on borderless 4x6 and 5x7, standard quality. It consistently takes twice as long with with detection disabled. I would send the print job to all printers and the culprit was always 50% behind. I must have uninstalled the driver 10 times and countless restarts before realizing it was my own fault.

Anyone with 2 pro-100's care to give it a shot? I'm curious to see if it was just me.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
it’s the quality of the print that counts not how fast it finishes.
Sort of like it's not the size of the wand but the magician using it. ;)