Software for X-rite i1 Pro

pkk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro100 Epson 3880, 9880
Hello All,

I’ve been using a Colormunki to make profiles for about five years. I print for myself and a few friends. I recently acquired an i1 Pro 2 (Rev E) but it has no software. I contacted X-rite about getting iProfiler and they told me $1350. Ooops! You can buy a brand new i1 Pro 3 for $1450 with all the hardware included, so I guess they think they are a software company.

I’ve downloaded Colorport and I guess I’ll try a few profiles but I’d like to know if they will be that much of an upgrade over the Colormunki. They are a lot more work. And does Adobe still make an app for printing with no color management?

So what are my choices for 3rd party? I’ve looked briefly at Argyll. It looks rather daunting.

I could go on Ebay and see it there’s an i1 Pro being sold for parts, just to get the software. Figuring out the levels of licensing of iProfiler is also rather daunting. Does the license follow the unit? I want to make printer profiles and it’s not clear if all the licensing levels do that.

Any advice is appreciated.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The i1Pro2 spectro acts as well as a dongle for the software you are using, you can download the i1 profiler software for free, it's the licence codes on the i1Pro2 which let you actually use particular sections of the software.
You can run the i1 diagnostics which reports as well if there are any licence codes stored on the spectro. This should be the next step.

Last edited:

pkk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the quick reply. I've run the diagnostic from X-rite and there are no licenses with the device.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
O.k., that's the status - there are no licence keys for you to use.

I think there are only a few options - either getting some software via Ebay etc with a licence/activation key - or you first start looking into ArgyllCMS - for free before you spend a significant amount of $. I'm not aware of other software you could use . You can use Colorport to create and scan patch sheets and import the data somewhere ? I used longer time ago - Windows XP days - the Profile Maker software into which you could import Colorport data, but GretagMacbeth was taken over by X-Rite those days. There might be some old versions of ProfileMaker floating around - at your risk.

I'm not familiar with it but there are some expert members on the forum who should be able to answer all of your questions about ArgyllCMS. You can use the search function to find a lot of postings related to ArgyllCMS or you start here

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...s-profiling-on-your-computer.8570/#post-67743

Last edited:

pkk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Okay, so Colorport doesn't actually make a profile? I'm learning. I will look harder at ArgyllCMS. And I really appreciate you prompt & frank replies. I'm checking out you link.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Yes, Colorport does not create profiles, it is just a kind of patch sheet frontend for devices which the actual profiling software does not support, it is a kind of outdated at this time, and you would not need it in connection with ArgyllCMS

pkk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I wanted to report back on how the ArgyllCMS project is going. After a few fits & starts I have been able to make a few profiles. I can't print with them though because they don't show up in LightRoom or Photoshop. They are in the folder with all of the other profiles & I've rebooted etc but they are not showing up in the list when I go to print.
And I want to say THANKS for the good steer to the post you linked above. I will post a complete debrief on this process when I'm successfully printing.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You may rename your profile files from .icc to .icm or vice versa, check with one if it shows up after renaming.

pkk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Okay, I tried that-didn't help. They started as .icm so I changed one to .icc. Same story.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There could be a version problem with your icc-profiles, V 2. is rather old but still widely used, the newer version would be V 4. but not all graphics editors or drivers would support these. I don't know if you can set ArgyllCMS to create the profile data in either version, but if so use V 2.