So, what would be the best printer for refilling today...

Rickkins

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The pos ts8120 I bought is almost outta ink, with no resetter in sight. Need a new plan.

We hardly print anymore, the kids have grown and are outta the house, but we still want a multi-function printer for occasional printing/scanning.

Looking of course for the best cost to quality ratio of course...

Thanks...!!

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
The pos ts8120 I bought is almost outta ink, with no resetter in sight. Need a new plan.

We hardly print anymore, the kids have grown and are outta the house, but we still want a multi-function printer for occasional printing/scanning.

Looking of course for the best cost to quality ratio of course...

Thanks...!!
TS5050 selling for a song in UK (TS 5020 in US). You could always use refillable ink cartridges with ARC chips

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I wonder why the TS5020 is so inexpensive. I actually picked up two to add to my reserve. Why? 270/271 and the availability of ARCs and rear feed.
I have not tested them but hope they are not lemons.

Do realize they do NOT HAVE USER REPLACEABLE printheads. Hence lower cost. This is the reason. I found out afterwards when I did open it up but did not fire it up.

Rickkins

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hmmm, our local Walmart has the 5020 at $60. CDN

I think we have a winner.....

Thanks guys....

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
OK, $60 is not bad. I got one from Canon Canada for $50 CAD and then a couple weeks later Best buy Canada at $40 CAD.
Since the 5020 don't have removeable printheads there is added onus to keep the printer running more frequently since clearing up real clogs will be more work.

shpitz461

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100
Why don't you dump ink and go with laser? very cheap, no ink spills.

I'm using a Dell H625cdw, loving it!

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Lasers can be cheap, if you use third party consumables (i.e.toner carts). Otherwise, the cost of running these machines is higher than any inkjet. For instance, I paid 105 Euro for my Brother HL-L5000D monochrome laser. After the original starter toner was exhausted, I faced my options :
1- Brother OEM toner cart for 8000 pages : 115 euros. More than the printer itself !.
2- third party toner cartridges for 8000 pages: aprox. from 10 to 40 Euros.
3- Bulk toner powder : from 6 to 15 euros per refill of 8000 pages.
I ended up buying bulk powder from China and it works quite well, although not 100% like Brother original, but the cost per page compared to OEM is 20 to 1.
Of course if you want to replace totally an inkjet with a laser, a B&W only mahcine won't do, You need a color laser, with 4 toner cartridges, much more expensive and also more prone to give trouble, unless you use only original consumables.

shpitz461

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100
Good point but I thought that was obvious :)

Amazon has a set of 4 colors for $45 for the high-yield toner, so for the occasional printing (which is what I assumed from the OP) it can't be beat.

Rickkins

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yea yanno I have never even considered a laser printer, largely because I know nothing about them. Maybe down the road though, if in fact they are easy to "refill".... I just have this thing about being hosed by greedy corps....

So, I now have my brand new ts 5020 all set up....$59.CDN off Amazon, cheaper than buying new carts...!!

What's today's "go to" place for inks...?? Or is there one. Been using "Precision" all this time, but their prices seem a little high these days.

Thoughts..??

Thanks.

Latest posts