so tired of MP160/MP510 problems. Any advice on replacement?

mikeshep

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi! Great forum!

I'd love to get suggestions from you folks on reasonably
priced multifunction color inkjet model(s) in the $100-$200
ballpark (or less:) that are known for reliability, optimal
ink longevity and mac compatible...

Im exhausted with engineered chip/cartridge error
features designed to disable these printers and
render them useless whenever i just need to replace
ink carts.

Of course, I know inkjets are generally designed
to drive sales of OEM-ink. Lesson learned, after
junking a half-dozen or so, perfectly good inkjet
printers over cartridge hassles. (Meantime
my B&W HP 4ML churns along 20+ years later
and can't remember the last time I had to replace the
cartridge).

Rant aside, since I can't "just" use monochrome
Laser for everything, I must have something on-hand
for moderate-volume color printing and flatbed copying use -
which takes me into the world of inkjets.

Any recommendations for good multifuction inkjet models
that allow replacement cartridges without hassles, have decent ink
lifespan and minimum wasted hours of troubleshooting time? Or
am I simply asking too much for a non-laser? (I might consider a color
laser in the $200 or less range but that seems a tall order...)

Thanks in advance for any help! Greatly appreciated!

Mike

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The printer you want is the Canon MP780. Unfortunately, there are none available right now on eBay. However, you can go to this link:

http://catalog.ebay.com/?_fcls=1&_pid=48465288&_tab=3

and click on the Listings tab and then on the "Save this product" link to have eBay send you an email when one is available.

mikeshep

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
interesting model - thanks -
so, really nothing out there in current production that comes close to this?

(i know that's generally been my experience with virtually any product that's
ever worked right for me ; ) but open to any other possibilities - will watch for
this meantime tho -

thanks

mike

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Also look on Craig's List and your local for-sale ads.

Another consideration is the Canon MX850 REFURBISHED from either

- Canon (http://estore.usa.canon.com/webapp/...1&parent_category_rn=17251&top_category=12054)

or

- NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828102334).

As stated, these are REFURBISHED units and carry a very limited warranty. But they use the important CLI-8 / PGI-5 ink cartridges, which you can reset the chip with a chip resetter and maintain native ink level monitoring for those that refill their cartridges with aftermarket bulk ink, and they have Pigment Black PGI-5 and the C/Y/M/B Dye ink CLI-5 cartridges for improved output (don't have to mix all the colors to get black dye ink color).

Chip resetters can be found on eBay - http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...canon+chip+resetter&_sacat=See-All-Categories. the Forum will be happy to help you find good refill ink and instructions on easy refilling technique.

Also, the MX850 appears to be able to print on CD/DVD's after purchasing an "F" Tray off of eBay, making some easy modifications, and using appropriate software. (I primarily use Acoustica CD/DVD Labeller) Instructions can be found at http://pixma.ulmb.com/?p=105. Click on "Instructions" in the Tray List row for the MX850. Read these instructions and comments thoroughly since it appears there are minor changes in the printout and maybe more. (I didn't read the whole thing)

I don't own this printer or have any experience with it. Reviews look generally good. Maybe others in this forum can give you the scoop on this printer.

In general, look for a 5 ink printer that uses either the hard to find older BCI cartridges or the less older CLI-8 / PGI-5 cartridges because the former doesn't require a chip resetter and the latter you can buy a chip resetter to keep ink monitoring functioning if you intend on refilling cartridges on your own. Otherwise you will have to eyeball it or use a program like InkMon to help keep track. Or continue to buy OEM cartridges or chipped aftermarket cartridges.

Of course you can go with a 4 ink cartridge All-In-One Canon system using the same type cartridges as listed previously. You will want PGI-5 Pigment Black cartridge if doing text output and then the CLI-8 Dye inks Cyan/Yellow/Magenta for color output. There are slightly older model numbers 5xx and 6xx that use these cartridges. Sorry, don't know the precise model numbers off the top of my head.

Forum member Mikling answers the same question you have rather succinctly in this thread - http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4314.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
@stratman,

I have a Canon MX850 and my experiences with this machine are up to now very positive. The capability to use it in a network is an advantage over my older MP780 and print quality is superb (same printhead as the IP4500 and the IP5300, therefore no need of extra photo magenta and photo cyan to achieve the same printing quality as the IP6600/6700). The software bundle is also very positive making you the capable to archive your old documents into pdf-files.

I own this machine almost 6 months and are still using the original cartridges and the printer seems to be quite economical with ink and I did print very nice DVD's with the CD-tray (better than my previous MP780). Unfortunately the CISS-scanner is a bit slower and less detailed (especially with scanning think books forcing the scanner to focus at different hights) than CCD-scanners, which are still superior (as in the MP780 and the MP830, which do not have network connection).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Pharmacist:

Thank you for the info on the MX850. I figured the CISS scanner was a step-down compared to the CCD scanner in my MP830. Still, it was only low priced AIO Canon I found in a quick search that had 5 ink carts of the desirable CLI-8 / PGI-5 variety.

I hope the OP mikeshep reads your good advice.

mikeshep

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks, this is a big help. I am a bit confused since my MP510 does have the PGI-5/CLI 3 color carts...and i have problems
with it as mentioned. I see the 850 model has a five ink-cart configuration. Have Canon resolved error issues in the later
models with these PGI-5/CLI tanks?

I also see some fair reviews and refurb deals on an MP700...(or is it MX700?) -- which also has the 3-color" carts - vs. 5 colors.
Since my needs aren't really high-end (just home-office/simple color - not critical/precision color print needs really)... i'm just
wondering if one of the models that only needs 3-tanks vs 5-tanks - wouldn't be more economical ...or are 3-color cart. models
notoriously more problematic than 5-tank models..
.i.e. would a the "700" just more of the same problems like i've had with the 510?

Many thanks again!

Mike

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Mikeshep,

I do have the feeling the MX700 and especially the MX850 is better built than the cheap MP510. Note: the MX850 has an auto sheet feeder and a duplex unit, making you capable to print and scan double sided without user interference. And printing is really superb en fast. The MX700 is good for all day usage and has even a fax function (like the MX850), but I heard alot of problems about the shabby quality on dutch comparison sites from people complaining about the machine runs in trouble very soon.

If you do want good quality and a very good scanner and no fuzzy problems about chips on the cartridges try to search for a refurbished Canon MP780: this a real working horse an very well built.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
mikeshep said:
Thanks, this is a big help. I am a bit confused since my MP510 does have the PGI-5/CLI 3 color carts...and i have problems
with it as mentioned. I see the 850 model has a five ink-cart configuration. Have Canon resolved error issues in the later
models with these PGI-5/CLI tanks?

I also see some fair reviews and refurb deals on an MP700...(or is it MX700?) -- which also has the 3-color" carts - vs. 5 colors.
Since my needs aren't really high-end (just home-office/simple color - not critical/precision color print needs really)... i'm just
wondering if one of the models that only needs 3-tanks vs 5-tanks - wouldn't be more economical ...or are 3-color cart. models
notoriously more problematic than 5-tank models..
.i.e. would a the "700" just more of the same problems like i've had with the 510?

Many thanks again!

Mike
You didn't mention you already have a Canon MP510. That, and detailing your exact problem, might have made this much easier.

Your Canon MP510 has the PGI-5 / CLI-8 cartridges. The chips can be reset by current chip resetters which I already provided a link for your inspection. At least some of these eBay auctions specifically mention your printer as compatible. As I stated before, refill the cartridges yourself, reset the chips with the resetter of your choice, and the native printer ink monitoring system will function as if you were using new OEM Canon cartridges.

If you are having other "error" messages or problems unrelated to chipped cartridges marked as spent, then you need to be specific in what the problem is, including the precise error message if possible. Otherwise, how will anyone know how to help you.

If you have been satisfied with the output of your MP510, and if your issues could be resolved easily as stated above, would you want to change printers?

The reference to "5 cartridge" printers means one Pigmented Black cartridge and four Dye ink cartridges with one each of CYAN, MAGENTA, YELLOW and BLACK. Since there already is a BLACK Dye ink cartridge, the other Dye inks do not need to be mixed together to give the color black like they would in a "4 cartridge" printer such as the MP510, which has one Pigmented Black cartridge and three Dye ink cartridges - CYAN, MAGENTA, YELLLOW. (The Pigmented Black ink is essentially used only when printing text, and is the reason for more laser printer-like quality)

Since all the Dye ink cartridges cost the same, at least from what I've seen, I am not sure how significant the amount of money would be saved with either a 4- or 5- cartridge printer. My feeeling is not much if you are refilling. The significant difference is in the quality of the output. This is your decision on what is satisfatory output.

Economics are involved when one uses a printer that has more than one color of ink contained within a single cartridge. When one ink runs "out", the printer or chip on the cartridge will mark the entire cartridge as spent even if there is lots of ink left in the other color(s). That's wasted money. No one is suggesting you purchase a printer that uses a singular cartridge that contains more than one color within.

You mentioned "replacement cartridges without hassles". What do you mean? Since Canon heats up the ink before dispensing it onto the paper, Canon halts further printing when a cartridge is empty until more ink is available. Otherwise, your printhead will burnout and you will have to replace that for $25 or more dollars. Obviously it is extremely easy to replace an empty with a new, factory filled cartridge, so what is your issue?

If you want to refill and re-use the cartridges yourself then you will EITHER need to override the printer/chip's safety feature (requiring a couple clicks and some button pushing) which will disable ink level monitoring but allow you to continue, OR, you can buy a chip resetter on eBay. If you choose to do the former then you will need to "eyeball" ink levels on a regular basis to ensure ink is always available for the printhead to use.

MP700 or the MX700 - which is it? There is a difference. The specs are different. One uses BCI cartridges and the other CLI-8 / PGI-5. One will need a chip resetter for native ink level monitoring. One may or may not function with new operating systems. One's probably very difficult and quite expensive to find new or refurbed and untouched. Either one may well suit your needs, though I'd make sure that the printer has drivers for your operating system.

mikeshep

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score

>>You didn't mention you already have a Canon MP510. That, and detailing your exact problem, might have made this much easier.
<<

True, I did make a reference to the models I've been having problems with in my Subject Heading...but...point taken.

>>Your Canon MP510 has the PGI-5 / CLI-8 cartridges. The chips can be reset by current chip resetters whi>>ch I already provided a link for your inspection. At least some of these eBay auctions specifically mention your printer as compatible. As I stated before, refill the cartridges yourself, reset the chips with the resetter of your choice, and the native printer ink monitoring system will function as if you were using new OEM Canon cartridges.<<

Just picked up a chip resetter...that's cool.

>>If you are having other "error" messages or problems unrelated to chipped cartridges marked as spent, then you need to be specific in what the problem is, including the precise error message if possible. Otherwise, how will anyone know how to help you.<<

"Error U043/following ink tank cannot be recognized" (on MP510)

>>If you have been satisfied with the output of your MP510, and if your issues could be resolved easily as stated above, would you want to change printers?<<

No... but I have an MP160 at another location that I should replace with a model that uses the same type of ink carts vs the two-cart config.

>>The reference to "5 cartridge" printers means one Pigmented Black cartridge and four Dye ink cartridges with one each of CYAN, MAGENTA, YELLOW and BLACK. Since there already is a BLACK Dye ink cartridge, the other Dye inks do not need to be mixed together to give the color black like they would in a "4 cartridge" printer such as the MP510, which has one Pigmented Black cartridge and three Dye ink cartridges - CYAN, MAGENTA, YELLLOW. (The Pigmented Black ink is essentially used only when printing text, and is the reason for more laser printer-like quality)
<<

Thanks for clarifying...

>>Since all the Dye ink cartridges cost the same, at least from what I've seen, I am not sure how significant the amount of money would be saved with either a 4- or 5- cartridge printer. My feeeling is not much if you are refilling. The significant difference is in the quality of the output. This is your decision on what is satisfatory output.<<

Sounds like a"wash" then as far as ink cost - whether four-cart or five-cart,eh?

>>Economics are involved when one uses a printer that has more than one color of ink contained within a single cartridge. When one ink runs "out", the printer or chip on the cartridge will mark the entire cartridge as spent even if there is lots of ink left in the other color(s). That's wasted money. No one is suggesting you purchase a printer that uses a singular cartridge that contains more than one color within.<<

>>You mentioned "replacement cartridges without hassles". What do you mean? Since Canon heats up the ink before dispensing it onto the paper, Canon halts further printing when a cartridge is empty until more ink is available. Otherwise, your printhead will burnout and you will have to replace that for $25 or more dollars. Obviously it is extremely easy to replace an empty with a new, factory filled cartridge, so what is your issue?<<

With the MP160 - there is a known issue - I'm told - with trying to use refilled OEM carts - and it's an ink hog, which i think was already acknowledged. That would be my first problem with that one. Additionally cartridge recognition errors are now chronic and it will ONLY accept the extremely costly OEM Canon carts.

With the MP510 i have no big issue with performance - nice machine really; BUT, suddenly after maybe 8 total months of light use, it
is generating the 'ink-tank not recognized' error messages when replacing OEM carts with OEM-tanks that have been refilled by both
Cartridge World and "InkFarm.com" The PGI-5 black cart error noted above is the current hassle -
I DID try resetting the chip on this cart- The resetter indicated the cart to be reset. Upon installation, however, the same U043 error after install (and no red indicator light when installed in the tank "bank" in the printer.

>>MP700 or MX700 - which is it? There is a difference. The specs are different. One uses BCI cartridges and the other CLI-8 / PGI-5. <<

The one using the PGI/CLI carts

>>One will need a chip resetter for native ink level monitoring. One may or may not function with new operating systems. One's probably very difficult and quite expensive to find new or refurbed and untouched. Either one may well suit your needs, though I'd make sure that the printer has drivers for your operating system.<<

Yep, need OS 10.3X and up for most anything here...

This level of detail that consumers must get consumed with for routine inkjet maintenance - as opposed to - say, hp laserjets I own that, as mentioned, have run heavy-duty without incident for literally decades -- is precisely why i will never be an inkjet cheerleader as they are ultimately, first and foremost engineered to be an OEM ink profit generator. Otherwise we wouldn't have to engage in so many workarounds
for straightforward 'out of the box usage' at a fair and reasonable cost (he ranted again; ).

Thanks again for all the advice!

Mike