Small lasers: HP 1018 and 1020

kenn

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am looking for a small (tiny!), cheap, light-duty laser printer. Size is a prime consideration as I want it to fit into a kitchen wall cabinet shelf (ventilated, shared with a tiny Dell SX260 PC). Beyond that, price and print quality are criteria, understanding that I will not be using this for high-quality photos and such, nor for any volume of printing. It is really a convenience for printing email &c in the kitchen.

The most likely candidates appear to be the very similar HP 1018 and 1020 printers. In fact, they are so similar that I cannot tell the differences from specs and reviews.

Any advice on their differences or on best selection choice?

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Hey,

since not for high-quality high volume printing, why not just use an inkjet printer?

sukhera

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I suggest you 1020. It is the best for home usage and giving you least problems.

jack in the uk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
if it was me i would go looking for end of life unit 'brand new' with good costed replacement theres loads out there

Something to consider brother HL3040CN its aprox 100-120 in the UK and is LED printer. I have tested this unit and its fine for home use. replacements dust it a bit pricey but not bad for colour LED Laser. the footprint might worry you so double check that

or --
check out Epson's wp-4515 there's a range of these so there be something to fit Your needs. I have tested this unit and they are all the same lower half of the printer ie if MFC or not.. costs maybe colour .5ppm in the UK and inks cheap i felt, check it out