sloooooow Canon i965 and other issues

Canon i965 owner

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals!

I was having some major issues with my ... up until now ... fauless Canon i965.

1) It seriously clips the paper at the end of the picture when printing borderless prints, often fraying the paper edges and making an inky mess along the edges (2cm in).

2) The CD printing tray has given up the ghost - a mechanical issue I guess needing a repairman, but it takes the tray in, makes a grinding sound, then spits it out insisting the tray isn't loaded right, or not using printable labels. Had no issues with that before recently.

3) Most annoyingly, it prints really, really, really slowly. It used to print fast, but now it likes to sit and think about a print job for a while before it has a go at doing something about it, and then it slowly does one band at a time; gradually it will speed up to full speed, sometimes slowing down then speeds up again.

I have messed about ith spool settings and they make no odds; I even printed off a draft quality letter - boy did that take a long time ... it used to spit out draft letters really fast.

Conclusion - I had none of these issues up until recently. The printer is 18mths old.

Can anyone help a litle damsel in distress?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
In terms of the slowness problem, it could be the printer or the connection to your computer. Try printing a "Service test print" - the instructions are given in (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=869#p869). If this prints slowly, the problem is in your printer; if it prints at normal speed, your problem is probably in the connection to your computer. You could try (in order):
1. Cycle the power to the printer.
2. Reboot your computer
3. Look at your "Task Manager" to make sure that some process isn't using most of your computer's time.
4. Try a different USB cable
5. Reinstall the printer driver

Does your paper have a curl at the end? If it does, it can drag on the print head and get smeared.