Slight banding on glossy/luster paper only

Neotechno

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PRO-300
Hi,

I recently received a brand new Canon PRO-300 a few weeks ago. I did the initial setup following the manual very carefully and everything was fine.

I printed a number of photos and everything seemed fine. Until I tried this one picture of my cat with a dark gradient area and noticed some banding.

I tried doing a nozzle check, everything seems perfect. Doing a head alignement, succeeded perfectly. I even did a head cleaning in the maintenance options, and redid a nozzle check and it was identical to the first.

The only curious thing about this is the banding is only present on glossy or luster papers. (Canon's Pro Luster and Pro Platinum) It is absent on matte papers. (Canon's Pro Matte).

What are my next steps? What should I be doing? I'm completely lost and have been searching the web for days until I stumbled here.

Attachments

• 20220825_122539.jpg
    20220825_122539.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 16614459447635829110997201302958.jpg
    16614459447635829110997201302958.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 105

Neotechno

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PRO-300
I hadn't thought of that, I always use the highest setting possible.
I've printed on the standard setting just now and I feel it's worse. Way more noticeable.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I hadn't thought of that, I always use the highest setting possible.
I've printed on the standard setting just now and I feel it's worse. Way more noticeable.
It’s possible that your using the wrong Media settings for the type of photo paper your using, the best way to home in on the issue is to try some of the other settings, even plain paper will give a different outcome..

P.S. try using standard settings rather than the highest setting.. It’s a new printer so it may have some odd ways, so try other papers..

Neotechno

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PRO-300
It’s possible that your using the wrong Media settings for the type of photo paper your using, the best way to home in on the issue is to try some of the other settings, even plain paper will give a different outcome..

P.S. try using standard settings rather than the highest setting.. It’s a new printer so it may have some odd ways, so try other papers..

Just to be sure I understand correctly, when you say Media settings do you mean the ICC profile and all that?
I use the printing software Canon provides (Professional Print & Layout) and I also tried printing directly from Lightroom. I always change the paper type in the software to match what's in the printer.

I've tried 4 different papers as of now, all official Canon products: Pro Luster, Pro Platinum, Matte, Premium Matte.
The two matte papers work perfectly, the other two don't.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
No not ICC profiles, just experiment with different media setting in the driver and allow the printer to manage colour, the effects you’ll get might give you a better understanding of how the printer works,
The two matte papers work perfectly, the other two don't.
It’s clear from this that the printer is working perfectly and your setting something wrong giving you the poor results..

Neotechno

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PRO-300
No not ICC profiles, just experiment with different media setting in the driver and allow the printer to manage colour, the effects you’ll get might give you a better understanding of how the printer works,

It’s clear from this that the printer is working perfectly and your setting something wrong giving you the poor results..

That last part very much relieves me, I was worried something was wrong with the printer.
I'll try to see if I can manage to figure the settings out.

My difficulty is that the printing software repeats many of the settings in the driver and I have no idea what takes priority over what.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
My difficulty is that the printing software repeats many of the settings in the driver and I have no idea what takes priority over what.
It’s very possible that you are double profiling, this is when the App. software is set to active and the printer driver is also doing the same, I would suggest until you have more experience, turn off all printer settings in your App. Software and just allow the printer itself to control colour setting....

Neotechno

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PRO-300
It’s very possible that you are double profiling, this is when the App. software is set to active and the printer driver is also doing the same, I would suggest until you have more experience, turn off all printer settings in your App. Software and just allow the printer itself to control colour setting....

I looked into double profiling and fell upon this article:
https://www.redrivercatalog.com/pro...profiles-lightroom-canon-desktop-windows.html

It seems I am not following these exact steps, and may in fact be making a mistake in the settings.
I will check this out after work and report back if it was indeed the culprit.

Thanks for the help!

Neotechno

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PRO-300
I am sad to report this has not helped my problem at all, I corrected my settings and it still has the same banding issue on my pictures.

Latest posts