Simply removing/replacing the same chipped CLI8-reset needed?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
If you remove a chipped cartridge(in my case a CLI8 for a Canon ip4200) and immediately put it back into the printer(*same* exact cartridge),it does't require a reset,does it?

For example,I remove all my full and recently reset cartridges to add a small piece of tape over the refill holes (German method),must I reset again before they go back into the printer?Thanks,Fred

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
No you do not need this: the printer will remember the actual ink status stored in the chip.

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
You reset only when you refill :) or you have bad ink monitoring

refilldude

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
this is the case if you have replacement chips which are auto reset chips. if they are oem chips they need reseting

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
refilldude said:
if they are oem chips they need reseting
Not to simply remove them and then put them back in (no refilling).

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thanks,guys....just what I thought,but wanted to be sure.

So what is the "event" that causes the chip to need to be reset.Is it the low ink warning?Or a count of something by the printer?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Squirt counting.

How do we know? In the early days of the Canon chipped cartridges, before there was a resetter, people tried refilling the cartridge before it was marked as empty hoping that the LED prism would recognize the presence of ink and not set the chip to read empty. This did not prevent the cartridge as being marked as empty, even with ink in both chambers.

If you're looking for a software/hardware engineering answer, someone will no doubt be along soon to provide their thoughts. Probably involves printer driver commands from the operating system/application that inform the printer what is requested of the printhead nozzles, printer BIOS, and an electron or two bouncing around in the cartridge chip.

Edit: People also tried covering the prism with tape in hopes that it would simulate a full cartridge. This did not work either. The presumption was some other mechanism was at work - nozzle firing counts which were used to estimate ink remaining. Exactly when this count initiates, as well as what the LED prism does, is still up for conjecture on this forum, though the people who designed the resetters may know.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
That makes sense...........and explains why simply removing/replacing a cartridge has no effect.

refilldude

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
as long as the cartridge chamber has ink in it a you have auto chips it will reset the ink volume.but it would be pointless not to refill as the printer would think it has more ink thank it actually does.
the chip is the first indicator that says the cart is empty the second is the prism. a led light shines though the prism and if the prism is clear the machine knows theres no ink. if the lisght dont get through the prism it knows theres ink and relys on the chip to tell it how much.