Should I keep my Canon ip3000?

SebastianHelm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I got directed here from Wikipedia HelpDesk.

I only used my ip3000 a couple times per month, and refilled it for years with ims ink according to their instructions. But it often dripped out of the outlet hole, and so I only filled them to 1/3 or so. Still, I often made a mess (apparently I'm more of a klutz than the average poster here :/), and since about a year, I often get black stains or vertical stripes on the paper for a number of pages after refilling. Recently, the paper also jams (even with individual feed), and cyan is not printing. I brought it to a repair shop, but they saw no hope. But I like my printer, and after some encouragement on Wikipedia and reading here how newer ones have more and more tricks to make printing more expensive, and how older Canon printers are generally a good choice, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to keep it after all. So, should I keep it, or replace it? And if so, what would people recommend for occasional use and klutz-proof refilling? (Maybe that last question should be a thread of its own, or even a FAQ.)

SebastianHelm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just saw these IMS instructions, and I realize two deciding differences to what I did: I didn't have the orange clip; so I tried to do the refill as fast as possible. Well, it's probably too late now; I probably spoiled my printer irretrievably.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
SebastianHelm..

Ya I am all for that too, as Ron350 said " Clean it up and keep it. "
And who said Wikipedia can get it wrong..

;)

SebastianHelm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you, I do trust both the friendly people on the Wikipedia help desk who replied to me there; that's why followed their recommendation and came here. ;)

SebastianHelm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just to close this properly: I followed the advice and cleaned my printer thoroughly; I took it apart so I could reach all parts of the feed mechanism. Only then did I notice that the printer actually has a feature to clean the paper feed rollers, and I did that, too. Now it seems like it's feeding just fine. I still have problems refilling, but that's a topic for another thread.

SebastianHelm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I still have problems; it jammed 2 out of 10 pages, and black is printing stripy. I had thought that might get fixed by buying a new Staple brand ink cartridge, but after reading the thread "Canon ip6000d printing is very light" I see why that didn't help. I'm a bit intimidated by that thread, and I might just decide to buy a new printer after all.