Shelf life of flushed cartridges (BCI)

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
I have a cleaned out BCI-6 cyan cartridge. I don't intend to use it for a while. Do I need to worry about anything atrophying in there?
I cleaned it out as practise, because I have 3 other colour cartridges that which have been cross contaminated and will need to be flushed. If I would be best off just leaving the ink in the contaminated cyan one, and using the flushed one, how should I store that one? I'm using the German method to do all this.

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PenguinLust: A flushed cartridge that's been setting on the shelf for a few months drying out should be Ok when the time comes to be refilled. The sponge might not aborb ink as fast as a slightly damp sponge does but after a few minutes the ink will permeate the sponge. A dry sponge will absorb more ink than a damp one. I prefer filling an ink cartridge that's been flushed and dried recently. See post #173.

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
Ok, very good. But what if it's not for a few months? It wouldn't surprise me if I don't use this cartridge for a year. I guess when it comes down to it: when I have 2 cartridges, what should I do w/the one I'm not using?

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I guess that a sponge that"s been flushed clean and stored for a couple of years will fare better than one stored with dried ink residue.