Seeking advice on choosing a high quality CIS / Printer / Ink combo

pyromosh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Greetings,

I just stumbled on this forum today. I've been researching CIS for literally months now, but there just doesn't seem to be much current, unbiased info out there in the wild. Very frustrating.

I've read a ton, but a lot of it isn't terribly helpful because my situation is perhaps a bit uniqie. Maybe I'm mistaken, but in my reading, it seems that 99% of CISS users are divided into two camps:

1) Very high end professional users. Folks with photo studios who are using multi-thousand dollar printers, care about and understand color calibration, and have a great background in the professional print world.

2) Home users who want to save money on day to day printing, who are resigned that they will get lesser quality out of aftermarket ink, but they don't care, because they'll just send out to a lab for photos.

I fit into neither of these camps. I and my partner run a very small desktop publishing company. We primarily specialize in custom greeting cards and invitations. 99% of what we print is done in our home office on a Canon MX850. Thus far, we have only used genuine Canon carts.

Shortly, we will be expanding and opening up a store front. So we need to purchase at least one more printer. We'd also like to go CIS on both the MX850, and whatever other printer we use as well.

We just purchased an Epson NX415, and a Canon MX700. Neither have even been opened yet, but the sales on them were decent enough to need to pounce. I am very skeptical about both these printers. The Epson I know little about, but it seems that perhaps it's too new to have caught the attention of the CIS world yet?

The MX700, is simply a baffeling machine to me.
I understand the way the MX850 (and several other Canon models) works:
8C, 8M, 8Y, 8K are all pigment based, and are used for photos and graphics.
5K is dye based, and is used just for monochrome text document printing.
I understand that Dye and Pigment based inks don't play well together, but the way they're set up in the MX850, it doesn't matter, because they're not mixed, just used in parallel. (please feel free to correct me if this is wrong).

But the MX700 has the same system, but without the 8K cart. So it *has* to use the 5K, or mix the CMY to get (a poor quality) black. Either way quality suffers.

So my first question is is this:
With the MX700, since I'm going CIS, and choosing my own ink anyway, why not just ignore this flaw in the printer and use all pigment (or all dye) inks for the 5K, 8C, 8M, and 8Y CIS tanks? Will the printer mix them no problem, or will the printer ignore the black unless I'm printing text? Also, is there any risk in using a pigment in a print head intended for dye, or vice versa?

Next, I'm not married to any of these printers, but I do need something quickly.

My requirements are:
1) We print on heavy stock, so it must have a "straight through" paper feed. Most Canon and Epson printers meet this requirement. Most HP don't, since they bend the paper 180 degrees in a short space, so the paper comes out curled.
2) Must be able to be CIS compatible. Since we buy in bulk, the 5x7 card-stock we use for our prints costs us about $0.02 ea. But ink for a borderless print currently costs between $0.16 and $0.23 ea. (best estimates). That's by far our biggest consumable expense. So reducing ink costs is our primary motivation to moving to CIS. Also, it won't hurt to be able to do a 300 print run without changing out cartridges mid-run.
3) While our prints don't need to last 100 years, but they need to look great, and they need to last a reasonable amount of time. Most folks aren't framing greeting cards. But they shouldn't look like ass a few months either.
4) And AIO printer is preferable, but not a deal breaker. Space is at a big premium in our new storefront. And we need the ability to scan customer provided photos. Fax is not even a factor for us.

So I guess what I'm asking i given those constraints, what kind of Printer / CIS / Ink would you recommend? Both for the existing MX850, and for the second printer. I'm open to using either of the printers we just purchased, or returning them for something else new, or even searching Craigslist or eBay for a printer that's no longer being produced. We really just need a trouble free / low cost per print / high quality printing system. If we have to spend a bit more at first, so be it.

Thanks in advance. We'd really love to hear the insight of those who have some experience with these systems.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I have never used CIS. Supposedly, it saves you time and money. But refilling saves you exactly the same money. So does it really save you time? From what I've read, people who get involved with CIS spend a great deal of time maintaining their CIS. Refilling single-color Canon cartridges takes VERY little time if you use the German method.

You got the pigment and dye reversed for the 8 and 5 cartridges. Pigment black is in the wide 5 cartridge and dye inks are in the thinner 8 cartridges. The pigment black is used when you specify plain paper. The dye black (if it is available) is used on any kind of photo paper. It doesn't matter if you are printing text or photos. Even if you put dye black into the 5 cartridge on a printer that does not have a dye black cartridge (not recommended) the printer will not mix it on photo paper unless you tell it that you are printing on plain paper which probably will not produce good results. On plain paper, the pigment black is mixed with the dye colors.

yupkime

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I would agree in that if you have extra sets of cartridges, refilled and ready to go, changing them when necessary shouldn't be a problem.
In this case, individual color tanks works really well.

While CISS is promising and looks easy, in a professional business setting where any serious downtime may cost you, I would stay safe and keep just swap the cartridges in and out when necessary. :)

To make things even more easier, try to have identical printers as well, using the same cartridges interchangeably.

pyromosh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I appreciate the fast feedback, but at this point, we are 99% committed to going CIS.

The problem is this: I'm the only slightly technical person in the company, and if we used refillable carts, I'd be the one to have to refill them.

The big problem with that is sheer volume. If I'm off for a few days, or working at one location and unable to get to the other, I can't count on both locations having enough ink to not have to refill carts again. We're expecting (hoping for) a massive increase in volume with the new storefront. Also, the new storefront is a center island kiosk in a mall. I'm not even sure logistically how they would go about refilling on their own there if they had to.

With a CIS, it can be set up, and not refilled for several days or weeks, regardless of volume. 100ml per bottle vs 10-15 ml per cart, and I can stock them with extra bottles if need be... it just seems logistically easier. Am I deluding myself? Now would be a good time for a wake up call if I am!

I ran some test prints on the MX700 we picked up. As I had feared, blacks stink with this printer. I'm curious if I could remedy this with a CISS, but I'm doubtful. I suspect that if I fed it dye based black instead of pigment, that it would still try to mix the CMY inks to produce black, and it would ignore the black ink except for monochrome prints. Anyone know if I'm right?

The Epsons and some of the higher end Canons are looking good, but I'm concerned with *new* printers. There aren't many CIS systems available for them, so I'm concerned about quality. If I were to pick up an old C86 on eBay, I'd have literally hundreds of kits to choose from. So some of them are bound to be decent. But with a NX415... how many are there now? Half a dozen? I realize I only need one good one, but it's tough to find with the newer ones.

Also, regardless of CIS or not CIS... my other parts of my question still stand. What kind of printer would give me the best output with the least headache, and what kind of inks should I be considering? I haven't even decided on dye vs pigment yet, so I'm very open there.

Again, my biggest constraint is that the printer should have a "straight through" paper feed, because we use very heavy card stock. That more or less eliminates HP from consideration.

Thanks again. Any help anyone can lend would be immensely appreciated.

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
If you are going to go with CIS you need to go with Epson printers.I will recommend you to get an Epson r280 if all your print are 8.5"x11" or smaller or an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 that can print up to 13"x19". Epson printer handle CIS better than Canon printers.

Alaskanfox

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I disagree with those saying a CISS will cost you more time in maintenance than refilling individual cartridges. I am a Realtor and do LOTS of photo fliers and print lots of contracts. So photo and text is very important. Quality is not extremely important and lasting a long time is also not very important- so I am in the same boat as you. I budget a printer a year- so far Canons fit that budget and Epson's last longer. The best printer I have had for a CISS is the Epson RX595- you can still buy these on ebay although they are not the latest model. I have had that at my office for 1.5 years. I have refilled the exterior containers with at least 5 times with no issues that caused me to stop working. I just bought 21 oz ex-large refill bottles for that printer.
My partners home office just got an upgrade printer- not because the printer stopped working, but because a CISS does not work well with the printer- that was a Epson RX700. I have been refilling the cartridges as they need- but this has become to time consuming! My new printer is an Epson Artisan 800- has tons of features- everything you mentioned you need and more- and also an internal CISS system. I am hoping this will work better with the user installed CISS systems because the tubes won't be rubbing against the printer. But I am still waiting for the CISS to come in the mail.

I'm not sure why you picked a printer with only 4 colors, 6 are not really more work with a CISS and I would think the color should be better..

So, Epson RX595 is my recommendation to you!
Good Luck.

pyromosh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Okay, so I did pick up a CISS. A while ago, and I have some experience to report.

I picked up a CISS for the Canon MX850. First let me talk about what I got.

It looks identical to this unit from Rihac:
http://www.rihac.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=26_28_75&products_id=416

But I didn't get it from Rihac. I got it cheaper from an eBay seller here in the U.S. If I had it to do again, I'd probably buy from Rihac.

The problem started when I ordered it, and it didn't arrive for almost two weeks.

When it finally arrived, it was packed in an envelope.

I bought it filled. It arrived... partially filled. One of the black tanks had leaked in transit. Probably because it was packed in an envelope, rather than a proper box.

When I did go to set it up, almost a week after we opened our retail location, it was a huge pain to prime, but I was okay with that, as it should just be a one time deal. After four hours of meticulously setting it up, I left the mall at 2:00 AM. Prints in hand. color wasn't as good as the canon genuine ink, but it was good enough that I wouldn't notice unless I was comparing side by side. And I hadn't even established a color profile, so I was happy.

The next morning, my partner went in, and she was unable to print all day.

That night, I spent hours disassembling and reassembling the system over and over.

Eventually, I got the system stable, and it has been fine for weeks now.

Perhaps if I had the instructions that came with the system, it would have been easier. I can't say, as they were covered in the black ink that had leaked. I wound up using Rihac's instructions, which is my main reason for my endorsement of them.

What I learned:
Very touchy to set up. Once you have stability, it works like a dream.
My biggest question about the system was ink tank height.
Everything I had read said keep the height at the same as the printer. But what about different printers?

What I mean is that if I have my Canon MX850 on the same desk as say, an Epson NX415, perhaps the print head of one will be an inch higher than the other because of the construction of the printer. Should the tank be elevated to be equal height to the head? Or should it still sit on desk level?

What I found with the MX850 at least was that even slight elevation (around 1 - 2 inches) would cause excessive flow when printing. With that printer, at least, it must be at desk level. Period.

The only hiccup came after not printing much for a couple days. Ink coverage was spotty. This went away after a couple cleaning cycles, and has only happened once so far.

All and all, I'll be looking at a CISS for an Epson as well. We'd love to have Pigment and Dye based capability on large scale.

pyromosh

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Alaskanfox said:
I'm not sure why you picked a printer with only 4 colors, 6 are not really more work with a CISS and I would think the color should be better..

So, Epson RX595 is my recommendation to you!
Good Luck.
I'll look into the RX595 for our next printer. Thanks for the tip.

As to address your other question, I'm skeptical about 6 color printers.
There are only four primary colors in print. CMYK. The light cyan and light magenta in CMYK+2 are just pre-mixed tanks of cyan + other colors and magenta + other colors (might just be yellow, but I don't know for sure).

I don't see any advantage to pre-mixing other than the cyan and magenta tanks lasting longer. With a CISS, this small advantage is mitigated big time.

Am I wrong about my understanding of how this works? From what I understand, CMYK+2 shouldn't be able to give better color than plain CMYK.

I'd love to know more about this if there is more than my understanding.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
In my opinion, the advantage of having the two light versions of cyan and magenta is not enough to notice unless you are comparing printouts side by side or unless you have really good eyes. The BIG disadvantage is that Canon printers tend to favor the light versions of ink and tend to use them much more than the regular versions. The light colors are simply diluted versions of the regular inks so you end up paying much more for your ink in a six-color dye ink printer compared to a four-color dye ink printer. That's my opinion.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
As ghwellsjr has already stated, PM and PC are just diluted versions of M and C. If you want to read a lot more detail about the various ink colors, try this link.

Without PM and PC, lighter magenta and cyan colors must be printed with fewer, more widely spaced and darker dots of full color ink, and those dots can give a speckled appearance. It's not that the prints from a CMYK printer are "bad"; it's just that the prints from a 6 color printer are "better". If you are just printing snapshots and aren't fussy, you may not even notice the difference. If you are using a high end camera and processing your images to get the best from them, you can see the difference.

You might ask why there isn't a "Photo Yellow" in addition to PM and PC? I have never seen anything written on this, but I suspect that our eyes aren't as sensitive to scattered dots of dark yellow as they are to magenta and cyan.