Seeking a "cheat sheet" list of economical color printers

missiethegal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I don't care about printer speed whatsoever-- they all seem pretty much the same to me.
So I suppose I'll try my luck sticking with the old-school BCI-6 printers if I can find one. I'll look into the iP4000 and the MP780. Thanks for giving me some recommendations to start with... looks like there's a couple used iP4000's on my nearby Craigslist, one for $25. Might have reply to that ;)

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
The IP4000 would be a great choice..... it's an older version of the IP4500

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I hate to confuse you even more, but there have been on eBay recently several offers of used older Canon models i560, i550, and i850.

These came before the Pixma 3000/4000/5000 series and are excellent printers as well, which also use the very inexpensive unchipped BCI-3 and BCI-6 series cartridges. If you are in no hurry, you might be on the lookout for one of these.

Try placing an ad in one of your local papers I, too live in a small rural town and I have bought good used printers that way. At least they are returnable easily if they do not work well.

So my list would be i550. i560, i850, ip Pixma 3000/4000/5000. Best of luck!!

missiethegal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Manuchau said:
I hate to confuse you even more, but there have been on eBay recently several offers of used older Canon models i560, i550, and i850.

These came before the Pixma 3000/4000/5000 series and are excellent printers as well, which also use the very inexpensive unchipped BCI-3 and BCI-6 series cartridges. If you are in no hurry, you might be on the lookout for one of these.

Try placing an ad in one of your local papers I, too live in a small rural town and I have bought good used printers that way. At least they are returnable easily if they do not work well.

So my list would be i550. i560, i850, ip Pixma 3000/4000/5000. Best of luck!!
Thanks!! No need to worry about confusing me ;) I was kinda hoping for a big list of options anyway, since I'm not super picky at the moment.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Melissa,
The printers listed above are a good starting point,whether they use chips or not.However,if you want REALLY inexpensive printing with very little hassle,consider refilling as mandatory.The so called "German method" is very simple(there is a you-tube video that shows how to do it...and many posts on here-do a search).

Basically you need the ink(Hobbicolors or similar bulk ink),some syringes with long needles,and some empty cartridges.Once you learn the technique,refilling can be done in 5 minutes for a set of cartridges.You must learn how to clean out all the old ink("purge" them).It's really easy.But it takes a little research of this forum.

links:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/canon-BCI-6-cartridges.php
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2465
and a resetter($20 or so) if you decide to get a newer printer like the ip4200,ip45oo that use CLI8 inks.Those using the older BCi6 inks don't need a resetter.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3109

missiethegal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
avolanche said:
Melissa,
The printers listed above are a good starting point,whether they use chips or not.However,if you want REALLY inexpensive printing with very little hassle,consider refilling as mandatory.The so called "German method" is very simple(there is a you-tube video that shows how to do it...and many posts on here-do a search).

Basically you need the ink(Hobbicolors or similar bulk ink),some syringes with long needles,and some empty cartridges.Once you learn the technique,refilling can be done in 5 minutes for a set of cartridges.You must learn how to clean out all the old ink("purge" them).It's really easy.But it takes a little research of this forum.

links:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/canon-BCI-6-cartridges.php
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2465
and a resetter($20 or so) if you decide to get a newer printer like the ip4200,ip45oo that use CLI8 inks.Those using the older BCi6 inks don't need a resetter.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3109
Thanks for all the links and info!! Definitely helps ;)

missiethegal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well I just contacted a Craigslister selling a Canon iP4000 still in the box for $40... so I hope it works out!!
It is a ways from here in my sister's town, so I'm banking on her help now ;)

Thanks everyone for all your gracious advice I really do appreciate it :D :D

~melissa

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If you get a new ip4000 for $40.00 - You have got yourself the most incredible bargain ever. Do it quickly!!!! Hop in the car immediately!!

We're jealous.....Post what happens here.....

missiethegal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Manuchau said:
If you get a new ip4000 for $40.00 - You have got yourself the most incredible bargain ever. Do it quickly!!!! Hop in the car immediately!!

We're jealous.....Post what happens here.....
Well my sister got it for me, it's still with her, haven't come up with a good enough reason to make the 2 hour trip to pick it up yet :rolleyes:
She said the box had been opened but everything was still wrapped in plastic, never been used. The house she bought it from was only like 2 blocks away :lol: (thank goodness because she is awful at directions ;) )

I thought $40 sounded like a pretty good deal-- but all I could compare it to was the outrageously ridiculous auctions on ebay... (people don't seriously buy them for $300 do they?!!) Anyway glad to hear it was a good buy-- got to make sure to tell DH that since he gave me the "look" when I told him I got another printer :rolleyes: he's got no clue :lol:

Anyway, thanks again for giving me so much help on printers, I can't wait to get it home and crack it open ;)

Melissa

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The original price on the iP4000 was something like $120. It eventually sold for $80 or $90 during closeout but they have since sold for much more than that on eBay. You better not tell your sister how much it is worth or she just might try to sell it and make a huge profit.