Seeking a "cheat sheet" list of economical color printers

missiethegal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I hate being a slave to the printer ink, having to think twice about hitting that "print" button-- constantly asking myself "is this really worth the ink?!" So I just want to find a decent printer that prints-- and prints inexpensively-- enough where I don't have to think twice anymore.
I am a mom with 4 little kids and mostly just use the printer to print junk off the internet, like pizza coupons and stuff but want use it more for the kids-- like for printing color sheets, activities, whatever-- probably nothing fancy. Still seems like photos are cheaper when done elsewhere anyway.

From what I've gathered so far, I will probably be looking for a older model printer, so I'll be searching our local Craigslists or ebay mostly. Besides I live in rural America so don't have too many local stores to choose from anyway.:rolleyes: I'm open to any and all features (no need for fax I guess), our current "guzzler" is a HP2175 all-in-one-- so basic barebones printers to all-in-ones would work. Oh and I do have a laser printer, (still in the box, doh) so I guess I'm seeking advice more on color printer options. I'm sure I'll use generic inks and would love to be confident enough to use those fancy never-run-out systems-- maybe someday.

I've been clicking and clicking on so many posts over the course a few visits here, and I've gone dizzy trying to keep everything straight-- I suppose I'm asking for some sort of a Cheat Sheet so I can have a quick go-to guide that I can easily tell which specific printers I am looking for (or so I know which ones to definitely avoid!!)
So for any of you SuperPowers-Of-All-Things-Printable ;) please can you share a list of printer recommendations-- preferably in a ranking order too (and maybe with expected prices).

I know that this is an extremely demanding and subjective question, but it seems to me you guys know your stuff better than any other site I've found:) so I'll take any and all advice you can give!!:D:D

Thanks!
Melissa

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
One suggestion is to indicate what duties the printer will be asked to do.
I suspect your laser is for black text?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Yes, we know "stuff" here, especially "nifty-stuff". For the easiest, no-hassle, used printer, look for a Canon that uses the unchiped cartridges with the BCI-6 part number. There will be letters after the number for the different colors. Don't bother with the "never-run-out" systems because you'll spend a lot of time trying to keep them working. If you can find one of the printers that use the BCI-6 cartridges, you can refill a cartridge in just a matter of minutes whenever it runs out of ink or even whenever it's low and you can see right through the clear plastic case to see how much ink is left in them.

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
In your position, I would probably look for a used 5 cartridge Canon printer that uses either CLI-8 or BCI-6 cartridges. (Dye black, cyan, magenta and yellow for graphics and pictures, and a pigment black cartridge for text). The IP4500 comes to mind, it's a good all around printer (not all-in-one). It doesn't guzzle too much ink (compared to the Epson I also own), and if you refil yourself your costs will be pretty low. (even on photos)

make sure you use good ink, the minimal cost saving for cheap ink is not worth it.
mikling sells very good ink, close to the originals (using it in my epson). You can also find hobbicolors ink on ebay. Hobbicolors ink are a little more vivid than the original, but a lot of people, including myself like the ink set.

missiethegal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice so far ;)

I'm just looking to use the printer for basic internet printing jobs, like coupons, directions, and arts and craft-type activities for the kids. Nothing major.

Yep, laser is just a basic black toner one I got for cheap at Staples after coupons a while back. Haven't used it yet, but I know I ought to.

It seemed like Canons are the most loved here so that's what I was thinking too, so the ip4500 is a good one? I'll add that to my list ;)
Which others use the BCI-6 cartridges? (are all BCI-6 unchipped? I hope!)

Good to know about the "never-run-out" system, it seemed complicated and a potential disaster (well in my house it could be!)
Thanks also for the ink advice, I read up a bit about that on here too, really informative site! ;)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The iP4500 does not use the BCI-6 cartridges, it uses cartridges which have chips in them, the CLI-8. You should use a chip reseter with them or you will have to accept a little hassle. Yes, all BCI-6 cartridges are chipless. Use this link to investigate what cartridges a printer uses (click on "What's in the Box" after you search for a printer model number.):

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...DisplayAct&fcategoryid=103&keycode=developers

missiethegal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
The iP4500 does not use the BCI-6 cartridges, it uses cartridges which have chips in them, the CLI-8. You should use a chip reseter with them or you will have to accept a little hassle. Yes, all BCI-6 cartridges are chipless. Use this link to investigate what cartridges a printer uses (click on "What's in the Box" after you search for a printer model number.):

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...DisplayAct&fcategoryid=103&keycode=developers
Thanks for the clarification and the link:)
I just can't believe how many different Canon printers there are!!

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
missiethegal said:
... I just can't believe how many different Canon printers there are!!
Canon used to produce lots of good printers. But its market share is going down. For an example, the Staples Canada this week back-to-school flyer does not have a Canon printer listed compared with 4 Brother printers.

missiethegal

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am starting from the ground up... according to WIKI, there have been at least 146 models of Canon printers :eek: There's got to be one out there for me!! How do normal people even begin to choose when purchasing a printer?? Probably just follow whatever the Best Buy dude says. I suppose that is why they are often included in the purchase of computers and cameras-- no choices.

It's unfortunate that Canon is losing its Market Share, I'm sure if they really listened to their customers and made an affordable ink printer they'd gain it back. With cheap ink, people would use their printers more often and buy more ink-- and then eventually more new printers. Maybe someday.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
There really are only two choices for Canon printers that use BCI-6 cartridges: the iP4000 which is just a printer, and the MP780 which is an All-In-One. However, you cannot buy these new, at least not from Canon. If you find them new on eBay, they will cost a lot. But you can find them used on eBay and maybe other places. The later model printers that use the CLI-8 actually have better features, for example they are faster, but you have to get a chip resetter which I have no experience with. They refill exactly the same way. You have to decide what you consider to be important.