Sealing the refill hole BCI-6 BCI-3

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
great move gamarlin! please post some photos as well if possible. thanks!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Wow, that's pretty neat! Thanks for posting that gamarlin. I didn't know that a screw / o-ring combo existed in one package. Yes, please report back and with pictures if you can.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Nifty - Really a clever design. The underside of the screw head has a depression that traps the o-ring so it can't spread out beyond the edge of the head and lose its seal.

gamarlin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I received the O-Ring screws today. I also got readyfill cartridges from Hobbicolor to test the way they seal.
Screws.jpg

I will post later as to results.

ejaf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Curious as to how those screws with the built in o-rings are working?

As well, I have tried to contact Jetyoung in regards to the black rubber "quick-fill plugs" that panos mentioned, but have not received a reply yet. The link that someone published to the weink site, which look like the same, seems like a rip off as far as price is concerned.

Has anyone seen those plugs on any other inkjet sites?

steven.va

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MAXIFY MB5050
Just want to share my method for sealing the refill hole.

After I had read this thread, I bought some small o-rings locally.
I just used the fill hole provided by Canon.
The screws I used are computers screws -- but with a large surface -- to keep the O-ring under the screws as much as possible.

Here's a pic:

Not bad for a first refill :)

DSCN2343.jpg

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
steven.va, great picture! BTW, are those computer screws stainless steel? If not, keep a close eye on them as anything I've used that isn't stainless corrodes over time.

steven.va

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MAXIFY MB5050
Hi Nifty!

I believe they are chromed.
Not quite sure how they will react over time, but I'll definitly keep an eye on it.

One thing I would want to try are computer case thumb screws.
I had only one that would fit...but it would even eliminate tne need for a screwdriver :)
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/directron_1880_194226130

Another picture I will post:
I have modified a Canon BC-33 print head, so I can use it as a cartridge holder :)

Steven

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
steven.va said:
Another picture I will post:
I have modified a Canon BC-33 print head, so I can use it as a cartridge holder :)
Oh My Gosh!! That's just an amazing idea!!!! After going through all the steps of cleaning a printhead one finds that the head is toast.... convert it into a cartridge holder!

Yes... please post pictures and steps you took to seal the nozzles!

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
On my ip4000 I've already tried using thumbscrews instead of a round head screw. It seemed like a great idea until the first time I tried a set. They sealed just fine, but they were a little too tall and jammed against the flange on the top inside cover. No damage was done to the printer, but it sure made a racket. I didn't have enough ambition to grab a file and shave off some of the flange to make enough clearance for the carrier to pass underneath. So, I'm still using 10-32 nylon screws.

What I'd really like to see is a refillable cartridge with a small hinged pop up lid that could just be snapped back down when refilling is complete. It wouldn't cost any more to manufacture than the current tanks.

Using a damaged print head for cartridge storage is a good idea. The tanks will be organized and readily available for swapping out with empties. If you seal over the screen on the inlet ports you should also be able to use it a refilling base. Either way you use it (storage or refilling base) be sure to seal over the inlet ports to prevent any air from getting up to the ink tanks and drying out the bottom filter on the tanks or leaking while the tanks are being refilled.