Scanning no longer working -- Canon MG6250

Soporose

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well folks, that last post was just on a year ago, and now I'm back to report that the problem still has not been resolved!

Why so long?

I was away for several months right after that last post and left my PC & printer in the hands of a relative, as I had a laptop to use while I was away. Then when I got back they had plugged in an ancient parallel port scanner rescued from a junk pile, which has continued to work up until recently.

So now that the old scanner has gone to tech heaven I'm back where I started. I hunted down this thread again, and followed the various instructions given.

I've replaced the long USB cable with one about 1.5 metres in length, and tried bypassing the hub by plugging the printer's USB cable directly into the last working USB port on the PC.

Still no joy.

Apart from scanning, everything else seems to work fine, and I can do Copies from the printers LCD Control Panel. But if I try to do a Scan from the LCD panel, there is no movement of the scanning head or any other sign of physical/mechanical activity.

After I select Scan from the LCD screen it reads...

PC
Local (USB)
Doc.type Auto scan
[White & green icons] Scan
Save/Forward

So I hit either Colour or Black to start scanning.

Processing...
Please wait momentarily.

After 30 seconds (seems like a long time, but I timed it) the LCD screen returns to the display described above. There is no physical activity of the printer during the "Processing" time.

I'd just as soon not reinstall all the Canon software again. I was wondering if the scanning software is separate and I could just reinstall it. Can't find the original CD but I believe all the drivers are available online.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I'd just as soon not reinstall all the Canon software again. I was wondering if the scanning software is separate and I could just reinstall it. Can't find the original CD but I believe all the drivers are available online.

For scanning to work you will need both drivers and a scanning application. I guess that your scanning application may have become corrupted.

From the Canon website you can download both and a lot of extra programs that are unnecessary IMO. As the two last digits in the printer model number is 50, the printer is for the European region, so you find downloads of drivers, applications, manuals, FAQ, etc here.

Two downloads are essential, the Mini Master Setup that installs all the drivers, and the MP Navigator that is the scanning program. The rest of the available downloads are unnecessary IMO, but if you want them, you can install them later.

You could try to uninstall the MP navigator, restart the computer and reinstall MP Navicator. If you are lucky this solves the problem.

If this doesn't work then I suggest to delete the printer and restart and clean out remnants in the registry using the freeware Ccleaner. Ccleaner offers a backup of the registry before applying changes, accept this, in case of problems you can restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.

Then run the Mini Master setup. This will install all the drivers, both printer scanner and network drivers. When running this install program it is important that you don't connect the printer before told to do so by the install program. After the install and after having confirmed that the printer is working, for instance by doing a nozzle check, continue with installing the MP Navigator. After installing MP navigator scanning should be functional again.

Have you tried installing the printer on the laptop? Maybe the last functional USB port on the desktop isn't fully functional? Maybe it is time for a new desktop? A PCI USB2 extension card for the old computer may also be a solution if scanning works with the laptop, but not with the desktop.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Well folks, that last post was just on a year ago, and now I'm back to report that the problem still has not been resolved!

I've replaced the long USB cable with one about 1.5 metres in length, and tried bypassing the hub by plugging the printer's USB cable directly into the last working USB port on the PC.

Still no joy.

There is your problem right there; you have changed how the scanner was previously connected to your PC by using a new USB port.

The simplest answer is to reinstall the scanner driver again and your scanner will then be recognised once more..

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
Hello,

Is it scanning from computer?
If not, push scan will fail.

If copier function is working, so scanner unit is OK.

You may also try network scanning from computer. I'm not sure if push scan works via network (WiFi or Ethernet wire).

Added 2014-08-06:
MG6250 doesn't support push scan via network.

Ł.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If copier function is working, so scanner unit is OK.
I missed this in the OP's post. He can copy. The scanner apparatus works! :eek:

PeterBJ and The Hat have good suggestions to try. Will delete my post as it is unnecessarily confusing to the issue. :hide

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Canon scanners use the standard TWAIN protocol (wich is installed as said by the mini setup).
To isolate printer/connection/driver/PC software problems you could try a generic scanner application as VueScan (this connects to any scanner ever been on the market).

Soporose

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks people, some good suggestions there.

I've been tied up with other things all day and too buggered to try any of it right now, but will get back to it with a fresh head tomorrow.

To The Hat: wouldn't uninstalling all USB entries from Device Manager resolve any USB confusions? I seem to remember I might have done that once before.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thanks people, some good suggestions there.
To The Hat: wouldn't uninstalling all USB entries from Device Manager resolve any USB confusions? I seem to remember I might have done that once before.

That would be correct for printer but not your scanner, all dough they are made up as one unit; they are in fact two individual units, Printer/scanner.

When you connected your 6250 to the PC again an automatic connection would probably have been established all most immediately and the drivers installed, however.

For the twain device to then talk back to the Application scanning software the new connection has to be recognised by the application itself so you should reinstall the scanning software/driver again.

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
Hi again,

"Canon MP Navigator" is by far only program, which can handle Canon Pixma push scan (USB only, network is unsupported).

I have tried some registry hacks, but they failed to do the job. I managed only to lunch certain graphic program (eg. "IrfanView" -sometimes with "ScanGear" window already opened) by pressing printer scan button, but not more. Canon Pixma push scan seems to be incompatible with standard TWAIN push scan handlers.

Ł.