Scanning no longer working -- Canon MG6250

Soporose

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Canon MG6250

I have been very happy with this printer, and it has worked fine for some time now.

It's quite a while since I tried to do any scanning, but it did used to scan OK at one time.

Today I wanted to scan some documents to the PC. Selected Scan from the printer's home screen, tapped the Color button, after which I got "Processing Please wait momentarily."

Then after several seconds of the little activity thingy, it returns to the scanning window, but nothing happens on the PC.

If possible I'd rather not re-install all of the Canon software from the CD, for fear of stuffing something else up.

Any suggestions?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I am not at all familiar with Canon AIO printers but I assume you are trying to scan from the Printer's LCD?
Does the Software disc install a scanning utility on the PC that you can try to scan from instead? I know Epson AIOs do but do Canons?

Did the scanner actually scan but could not communicate with the PC?

Joe

Soporose

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
jtoolman said:
I am not at all familiar with Canon AIO printers but I assume you are trying to scan from the Printer's LCD?
Yes.

jtoolman said:
Does the Software disc install a scanning utility on the PC that you can try to scan from instead? I know Epson AIOs do but do Canons?
Part of the troubleshooting problem is that I can't remember what PC-based program popped up in response to a scan at the printer; it really is quite some time since I last did any scanning. Whether the installation CD installed a program, or whether it used something I already had installed, I just can't recall.

jtoolman said:
Did the scanner actually scan but could not communicate with the PC?
There was no indication that it couldn't communicate with the PC. It's just exactly as I described:after several seconds of the little activity thingy, it returns to the scanning window (on the LCD display), but nothing happens on the PC. No error messages either on the printer's LCD screen or the PC.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
This is how it looks like on a MG5350:

<--- click to enlarge

You can select how the file is saved from the "Save/Forward" menu - Atach to email via PC, Forward to PC and you select how, Save to USB flashdrive or Save to memory card.

If "Forward to PC" is selected it will save the scan to C:\Users\YourUserName\Pictures\MP Navigator EX\Date

How is your printer connected to the computer?

P.S. The software is called MP Navigator EX and you can find it here: http://www.canon.ie/Support/Consume...x?DLtcmuri=tcm:24-858192&page=2&type=download

Soporose

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the effort with the picture. Your printer controls layout and LCD screen look almost exactly the same as mine.

"Forward scanned data to a PC" is selected.

Couldn't find the exact file storage location you mentioned, but it gave me a clue as to what to look for. Eventually found a bunch of scans from over a year ago at:

C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\My Documents\My Pictures\MP Navigator EX

But nothing recent.

Anyway, found MP Navigator still installed so tried scanning from it instead of initiating the scan at the printer. An error dialog returns this message:
------------------------------
Cannot scan for these reasons:
-Scanner is turned off.
-USB cable is disconnected.

Please check and try again.
Scanner driver will be closed.

Code:5,156,61
------------------------------

Don't know what "Scanner is turned off" means, but the printer is on and printing from the PC works just fine.

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Sounds like a nasty problem, Soporose.
Try this: Put a document in the scanner and tick copy on the screen. The printer should then make a scan and print it without the computer connection.
-If this works then the printer has to be installed on the PC again.
-If this doesnt work then there must be a hardware problem and you can hardly solve that yourself. The warranty is one year.

Because you havent scanned for a while there may have been some change in the settings (updates!) which can cause the scanner problems. Reinstalling is the only cure.

Ive got my MG6250 connected with an USB-cable instead of WIFI, just to avoid connectivity problems. But I can hardly imagine that thats the cause of your problem.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi Soporose

Is your MG6250 connected directly to the PC via a USB cable of no more than 2m length? Some Canon AIOs don't work with a USB hub. You can print but you cannot scan. The cable length might also be critical. The theoretical max. allowable length for a USB cable is 5m, which is a limitation in the USB system.

I have done some tests with a Canon MP540. Scanning doesn't work if the printer is connected via a hub, and without a hub but with a thin 5m USB cable it only works with some PC's not with others. With a normal USB cable of 2m length or less everything is fine.

I think you can also use the MG6250 as a stand alone photo copier? If so you can test the scanner for hardware errors by making a photocopy directly, without the use of the PC.

I see Lucas28 posted a similar suggestion while I was typing.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
When you select the scan to the computer once the scan has started you should have on your computer screen a MP navigator box stating scanning if not you do not have a connection. I scan 2m away wirelessly without problem on a MP620. I do not know whether it is worth going into control panel/printers and check your printer is present and selected

Soporose

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Lucas28 said:
Try this: Put a document in the scanner and tick copy on the screen. The printer should then make a scan and print it without the computer connection.
Yes, it copies just fine.

PeterBJ said:
Is your MG6250 connected directly to the PC via a USB cable of no more than 2m length? Some Canon AIOs don't work with a USB hub. You can print but you cannot scan. The cable length might also be critical. The theoretical max. allowable length for a USB cable is 5m, which is a limitation in the USB system.
It's a proper thick USB cable, which I think is a bit over 2 m in length. I used along cable because the layout means the route has to be a bit round-about to keep the cable out of the way. It also runs to a 13 port hub.

I've always had a hub, but thinking back this may be a different one to the original, which had less ports.

barfl2 said:
When you select the scan to the computer once the scan has started you should have on your computer screen a MP navigator box stating scanning if not you do not have a connection. I scan 2m away wirelessly without problem on a MP620. I do not know whether it is worth going into control panel/printers and check your printer is present and selected
It's the default printer and everything works except scanning to the PC. Popping up MP Navigator is what used to happen, but no longer.

Anyway...

One by one the five USB ports on my PC have all failed bar one, and that's the one the 13 port hub is plugged into, so I'm in a bit of a pickle. I know I've got a 2-USB-port PCI card around here somewhere that's never been used. Will have a look at that in the next couple of days.

Can't find the printer's installation CD either, but as I said MP Navigator is still installed.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Soporose wrote:

...I've always had a hub, but thinking back this may be a different one to the original, which had less ports...
This makes me wonder if Canon AIO's work with some hubs but not with others, and that the problems with some hubs are the cause of the advice always to connect the printer directly to a PC USB port? Do you remember if the printer was connected to the older hub or directly to the PC?

Soporose wrote:

...Popping up MP Navigator is what used to happen, but no longer...
I think this is caused by the scanner no longer being seen by the PC due to the hub, so probably your printer installation is still intact.

I guess the USB PCI card will solve the problems. Then one port can then be connected to the printer and the second to the 13 port hub.

Please report your results, and if you still have the old hub could you try if the printer works with that hub?

If you need to do a reinstall of printer drivers and software, they are available from the Canon website. But maybe someone who has the install CD could make an iso image and upload it, if you can provide an upload address?