Sample Image Prints On Glossy/matte Photo Paper With Pigmented Ink

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
I just found some example images from northlight-images.co.uk site: not sure what's bronzing and what's gloss differential

papers-bw-gloss.jpg

gloss_effect.jpg

mono_ink_differential.jpg

Bonus a picture of inside the HP 70 ink cartridge: look like easy to refill! Wish HP do that for home inkjet printers as well...
inside-cartridge.jpg

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
The 8X00 series printers have big cartridges (940/940XL) like that. Not that big but the same style with bag and such. I remember them not being so easy to refill, though I think the chip was a bigger problem than anything else. I think they are using 950 now.

I think that is bronzing, though it's just not easy to tell from photos, you really don't know what the difference is unless you actually see it. Either way, if you are planning on doing mostly glossy work, I'd go with dye inks. I've seen a few proposals to use the 8-and-higher color Epsons with dye ink to make even brighter/glossier prints than using the OEM Ultrachrome pigment inks (which are glossier than aftermarket pigment inks... but are rather unaffordable in the long run!)

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Thanks all for the info!

BTW, now I'm curious about the "gloss optimizer". Can somebody tell me a little bit about it? In term of technical things...

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I know the Hat & Jose have said many times that using a dedicated printer for applying the gloss optimiser is better than just using one cartridge like I do in my pro9500 but I still can't understand the logic.
I would have thought one cart can spray an even coat of GO over a sheet of paper just as well as multiple carts.
Say I wanted to print a completely black page surely one black cartridge could give an even coat of black over the paper just as well as six carts of black. I know I'm thick but this just isn't sinking in to my brain, whats left of it. I'm assuming that all we need is an even coat of GO over the print, just like spraying from a can.
I completely trust the words of the Hat & Jose & if they say it's better it must be but I just can't see why.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Your perfectly right Rod, your way works just fine and the only reason I switched to using
another printer to apply the GO was to protect my baby from all harm,
I just didn’t want to be without it for a single moment. :hugs

When I used the 9500 with the one cartridge to apply the GO I could get plenty of coverage
just like you can now, but because I used the same black cartridge for most of my printing
it was a pain in the ass to have to keep changing them around.

But you’d be wrong in thinking that you can get a good black when using only one cartridge,
your printer actually uses nearly all of your colour cartridges to produce an overall good black
(That’s the word of The Hat)

Why do you think the cow has four teats ? :lol:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Hmm, what OCP PIGMENT ink i could use for my brother printer when I finish the dye black that does not rub off from glossy paper. I suppose so sort OCP EPSON ink, but what is guaranteed to work?

If you wondered the brother comes with PIGMENT black as standard and OCP brother ink black does not stick to glossy paper.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Why do you think the cow has four teats ? :lol:
In case I bring three friends.:clap
Thanhhuy Do a search for Gloss Optimiser there's lots of posts where we started to use this stuff after the Hat told us to.
Basically I fill the Mblk in my pro9500 with gloss optimiser & after setting the paper to plain paper & tick the B&W box in the printer preferences with the printer handling the print. I print a page of 70% opacity black on my pigment ink print & it reduces the gloss differential by about 80%. Some prints look great & some still have some gloss differential.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Basically I fill the Mblk in my pro9500 with gloss optimiser & after setting the paper to plain paper & tick the B&W box in the printer preferences with the printer handling the print. I print a page of 70% opacity black on my pigment ink print & it reduces the gloss differential by about 80%. Some prints look great & some still have some gloss differential.

I get exactly the same results, so near enough is good enough.. :thumbsup