S9000 repetitive banding on nozzlecheck

lewisham_phil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just bought an S9000 on Ebay; the seller showed a decent nozzlecheck on the listing, but now it's arrived the nozzlecheck is showing a regular 'battlement' error pattern on black and yellow (see below).
I think this has been mentioned before as a possible electrical problem; is it normally the head, or the logic board at fault? And although heads are freely available, I haven't seen logic boards for sale, are they just prohibitively expensive?

Thanks for any help.

2934_s9000-1.jpg

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I'd contact the seller about this. Since it is electrical you can't risk putting in a new head and the problem possibly burning out the brand new head.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
One of the problems I have been suspicious about is shipping a printer with the print head and cartridges in the printer. Since the print head is normally locked, there is no way to get the print head out of the printer to examine it for excessive ink around the electronics before powering it up. My guess is that the printer probably did work correctly but during the handling of shipping (think dropping, turning up-side-down, bumping around, etc) ink probably got into the electronics and when you turned it on the first time, it burned out.

I believe the safest way to ship a printer is remove the cartridges, do a deep head cleaing, then remove the print head and ship it in a plastic bag.

lewisham_phil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I have checked the printhead, and there is no ink leakage in, around, or behind the head, where all the contacts reside (I have cleaned these anyway, but no improvement). The logic board is similarly clean, all connectors secure. So no clue as to whether the printhead or logic board is at fault; I would've hoped there might be an obvious mechanical problem which occurred in transit, such as loose connections, but so far none.
I shall have further words with the seller, and see what he wants to do
Narrowing down the problem by swapping out components is obviously potentially expensive, so I'm wondering whether it's worthwhile getting a service engineer to have a look; does anyone have any experience in the UK of service engineers or companies, in the London area preferably?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Even if there weren't the electrical problem, there are in addition many random clogged nozzles which is enough to claim that the printer wasn't working perfectly when shipped. You say that "the seller showed a decent nozzlecheck on the listing". Does "decent" mean no clogged nozzles, or just the few clogged nozzles that you now have? If the listing showed no clogged nozzles and you cannot clear up the random clogged nozzles you now have, then that is proof to me that the seller is pulling a fast one. But if his image of the nozzle check has the same pattern of random clogged nozzles that you now have, then I would believe that the problem happened in transit and without the knowledge of the seller.

Can you provide a link to the eBay listing so we can have a look?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The nozzle check on the eBay site shows one clogged nozzle on the dark magenta but your nozzle check is perfect for that color. Yours shows other random clogged nozzles that are not on his. It is obvious to me that the nozzle check the seller posted on the eBay site was not made with the printer you received. I think this is a clear case of fraud and I would present this information to the seller to see if he wants to pay for you to either return it to him for a refund, including shipping, OR a credit for the price of a print head plus shipping with the stipulation that if the new print head does not work (because the defective print head has damaged the printer) then he must pay all expenses for you to return the printer or you will report him for fraud.

I have never seen anyone post a nozzle check when selling a printer. I think that is suspicious that he was trying to "prove" that his defective print head was really almost perfect.

lewisham_phil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You may be right ghwellsjr, but I shall hold fire judging the seller until after I contact him to suggest I return the printer! I have re-checked connections and everything over the weekend, but still no joy.
After this experience I will not be buying used printers off Ebay again, unless they are local and I can see them working before I put the money down.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I think I can predict that the seller will claim total ignorance of the print head problem and refuse to let you return it for a refund of both the price you paid plus your shipping costs, which is one of the options I suggested. He has stated on his listing that he will not allow for a return. Even though his feedback is 100% positive, there were two unsatisfied customers including one that stated "Beware the No Returns Policy". He has sold several other printers and yet he claims this printer was his own and he knows the complete history of it. Fot the number of printers he has sold, I believe he used a nozzle check from another printer that he has or had.

I just took another close look at the nozzle check he posted on his listing and it shows a second missing nozzle in the light cyan which does not appear to be present in your nozzle check. It just doesn't seem reasonable to me that if those two defective nozzles could have been cleaned, he would have used that nozzle check. You might want to ask him if he tried to clear up those two nozzles and if he states that he tried and couldn't then you could present your evidence to him.

I am coming to the same conclusion about used printers on eBay. I am currently in the middle of a problem with an eBay seller. Craigslist.org seems like a better way to go.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
There are two layers of protection if you paid your purchase using credit card. You have a case because the printer is not what is described in the auction. Wait until what the seller said first.