Reviving a Canon pro 10

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I was looking for Lucia EX inks some years ago - expired - which are offered at a pretty steep discount vs. regular new cartidges but this cannot be a business model.
Oh understood. Wasn't thinking of this from a business model point of view, more of a way of helping out. If there's sufficient demand to make it worth gathering together the cartridges and rebottling them I can take a look at it then.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550

Attachments

• Canon Inks.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 192
Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
As with all things there's a balance to be had between OEM and compatible inks
I use whatever is better for the print head and works, than the overall colour or my pocket.. It’s nonsense to have to run cleaning cycles every time you want a decent print. ;)
One printer is on OEM the other two are on Compatibles...

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I would definitely be interested ^^ But I guess 1 customer is far from enough.
I might need a couple more to make it viable ;)

In all seriousness though, 700ml is just over 5 bottles of 125ml + one or two 50ml bottle volumes left over so if I can get a core of 3-4 people who are interested per colour that can commit, then that makes it viable.

Here is a pricing example - 330ml black - expired 2014 for€@19.90 , I think that's not bad; I never had problems with such expired cartridges so far, but it should be clear that you buy those w/o warranty.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/133059982499?hash=item1efafe34a3:g:n6AAAOSwztBc5QHf
That's always an option for folk then :)

I think for the option I'm offering to provide, it would need to be based on "in date" inks but those prices for individual users, do sound rather compelling... with the usual caveats...

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Here is a pricing example - 330ml black - expired 2014 for€@19.90 , I think that's not bad; I never had problems with such expired cartridges so far, but it should be clear that you buy those w/o warranty.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/133059982499?hash=item1efafe34a3:g:n6AAAOSwztBc5QHf

And here a list of cartridges by ink type, color and printer model
I used different mixes and roughly can say that the Lucia EX inks have a slightly higher gamut than PRO-10 OEM (no experience with PRO-1000 (Lucia PRO).
The original Lucia was used in the PRO-9500 and has a bit less gamut and gloss equality.
In most colours these inks are exchangeable with the octoink.co.uk set, there is no reason to buy all OEM for most prints.

@Ink stained Fingers may correct me, but as @Artur5 mentioned, adding say OEM Red will of coarse increase the gamut volume, but not change the resulting print (with a custom profile) as long as it does not need that deep red.

As example: I have octo 72-C, PFI-701C (Lucia) and PFI-105C (Lucia EX). The first two are equal so I can use the same profile, but when using the Lucia EX with an adapted profile the prints are also the same.

Lucia EX in the PRO-9500(II) makes it a better printer than Canon had in mind, but strange enough the PRO-10 (where green is replaced by CO) is far better in greens.
Also with Lucia EX PBK you can't reach the deep blacks (lower than L=3) as with the PRO-10. Probably the CO helps but there is a significant difference in the printer drivers too.

I doubt using the inks of another printer makes an older model as good.

marco565

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro 10, Epson ET8550
Why no go with Lucia pro? Thats the inks that are in the pro 300. So basically you make the pro 10 = pro300 since they have the same head (maybe software is different).

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I only can confirm @palombian 's statements

there is a significant difference in the printer drivers too.
I see this effect e.g. with the L1800 and the ET-8550 which I both run with the Epson 106 inks but gamuts vary.

Also with Lucia EX PBK you can't reach the deep blacks (lower than L=3)
It's as well a matter of the paper, and I got close to L=2 with the Lucia EX black - tested and used on a P400.

adding say OEM Red will of coarse increase the gamut volume, but not change the resulting print (with a custom profile)
You need those highly saturated reds in the image in the first place which reach into the better reds which you get with the OEM ink, if your images don't reach the wider gamut you may gain with the OEM inks you won't see a difference in the printouts.

And all this requires some testing and comparing with the papers you are using.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Why no go with Lucia pro? Thats the inks that are in the pro 300. So basically you make the pro 10 = pro300 since they have the same head (maybe software is different).
It would be good ink for certain (and there is no other choice for CO).
Canon never said it is the same ink though.

I went for Lucia EX since it is somewhat cheaper per ml, about half price of PGI-72.
Ink IS expensive nowadays.