Reviving a Canon pro 10

marco565

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro 10, Epson ET8550
Your ET8550 will shoot the Pro 10 down on glossy paper
My Girlfriend will be happy, I will have to keep my two printers ^^

Custom profiles made with Spyderprint ... Caveat emptor. !
I can not compare it to something else however I do agree that I did struggle a lot to have a usable profile. Now I have the technique how to make them and it works perfectly (again I don't have a i1 pro to compare). My custom profiles on Fotospeed paper give a much more pleasing look on Fotospeed paper than the generic ones they make.

One day I will do a video how to make them.

I only can confirm that profiles made with Spyderprint can be totally wrong, and the user does not have any tools to verify a profile for consistency.
I use colorsync on my mac to see if the shape of the profile is nice and smooth, I also check carefully the patch reading. But I don't have more knowledge how to check them properly.

I would recommend to get larger cartridges of Canon OEM inks and use them for refill your Pro1/Pro 10 cartidges.

This is something that I am interested in. I see that precision colors sell OEM ink for the canon pro 1000 and above, unfortunately, that's not cheap to get them in Europe. Do you know if there is someone selling a bottle of OEM ink for the pro-1000+.

Did anyone tested the pro 10 with inks of the pro 1000? will it be as good as pro 10 OEM ink?

then another crasy question, I saw that the canon GX7050 uses pigment inks, maybe we can use those inks to fill the pro 10 cartridges and still have good results?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Asnwering first your last question.. I doubt very much that ink for the GX7050 ( a megatank Maxify ) will be a very good choice for the Pro-10, even if both are pigmented inks. AFAIK the composition of the inks used by Canon in their photo Pro printers is very different from the ones used in office/multipurpose machines like Maxifys or Pixmas MG, MX, etc.

Pro-1000 inks in a Pro10?. Yes, both machines use Lucia ink, although not the same version of Lucia and a different inkset as well, so you need to make a custom profile for a good color match. In my Pro-10s I'm currently using Chroma Optimizer and Red ink extracted from PFI-1100 carts.

Last edited:

marco565

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ok Perfect I will look into that, the rest of the cartridges you run them with Octoink? If so, do you see differences with OEM after profiling?

marco565

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Guys just for an update, I am received OEM inks. I installed them am run a cleaning cycle to flush old ink.

As you can see now, the colors look much better on the Nozzle check and the issue that I had with the Magenta (the 0.5mm missing at the beginning of the stride) is now gone.

Looks like I have a fully functional Canon pro 10. That's amazing knowing that the printer was not used for 5 years...

I will post soon some tests and comparisons to the ET8550.

Attachments

• Epson_07012022093306.jpg
    Epson_07012022093306.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 139

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If so, do you see differences with OEM after profiling?
Another option for you to use, is Pro 1, Pro 1000, Pro 2000 / 3000 large cartridges, that way you get the quality and output from using OEM inks without having to re-profile any of your papers.. All priced differently, but much cheaper than the small cartridges..

Some of these cartridges can be picked up even cheaper on EBay..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Oh no, the first (slight) disagreement of 2022 with @The Hat..:D

Pro-1 uses the same inks (except for two additional grays ) of the Pro-10 but Pro-1000 and above use a different inkset. A custom profile is mandatory for a good, but not perfect, color match.
Currently I'm using on my Pro-10s a mix of Octoink compatible inks and several Canon OEM inks extracted from larger PFI carts. Profiles are made with a Color-Munki photo.
Results are satisfactory at naked eye but, comparing with PerFXgamut viewer the profiles of All-OEM Pro-10 inks vs my current mixed set, it's clear that the gamut of all-OEM inks is larger.
That makes sense because Red and Magenta PFI inks are meant to be paired with Cyan, Yellow and Black PFI inks, not with Yellow, Cyan and Black third party inks for the Pro-10.

marco565

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I just saw today somewhere that the canon pro 300 had the same inks as the canon pro 1000 except there is only 9+1 inks (Lucia pro). So I guess filing the pro 10 with pfi1100 and profiling you basically get a pro 300 ^^

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
As with all things there's a balance to be had between OEM and compatible inks so I'm not entirely surprised that those seeking the purest outcome are looking at harvesting OEM cartridges. That said, I'm wondering how feasible the process is if you don't have a spare 2-3 grand lying around to buy up 700ml of each ink. I'm aware the PFI-306's are out there but they're only about 25% cheaper for less than 50% of the ink so not convinced they're a great budget move.

As we're already providing the Photo Black and Red as "enhanced" versions... a genuine question, would it be worth me looking into supply any of the other colours in the 125ml (or even the 50 - 60ml) volumes for those who don't fancy re-mortgaging the house?

Obviously there'd be a nominal markup to cover the overheads but quite a bit less for a set compared to going full on wide format cartridges.

One small fly in the ointment is that I don't have any additional data on which of the OEM PFI-706 and/or 1700 carts would be direct replacements beyond the obvious yellow, matt black, etc.. (I'm thinking greys in particular here) so if anyone can bring me up to speed I'd welcome the assist.

Hasten to add this isn't intended as a promo' or anything. Just wondering if we'd be able to make the process of sourcing what people wanted a bit easier.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There are several generations of Canon pigment ink s- Lucia - Lucia Ex - Lucia Pro, and their pricing varies a lot for the same cartidge volume.

I was looking for Lucia EX inks some years ago - expired - which are offered at a pretty steep discount vs. regular new cartidges but this cannot be a business model. I tested as well the magenta/red range of the PFI-1000 Lucia Pro inks, new at that time in the new Pro-1000 printer, I saw a small gamut gain in red area but not that much that I would pay a high premium for such ink - but again - that's a personal judgement, and another user may decide differently . And the same applies to the Chroma Optimizer - it's performance - look - varies between different suppliers. I found that the Inktec CO was the least effective and that the CO from octopus-office was adding a slight yellowish-ebony cast to unprinted areas.

Latest posts