Reusing Waste Ink

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
burning said:
As an update, I've been using waste ink and I haven't had a problem with it as of yet. So far it's been an excellent idea.
The color comes out as black, and is perfect for printing out back and white documents.
Why would you ever want to reuse your waste ink in the first place for?
Ink is so cheap to begin with today that it makes no sense at all to save another 1 cent.

I could well understand your choice if there were no alternative inks available on the market other than OEM,
so I am truly sorry for you if youre in that great need to be frugal with your $$.

You know that if I was using Epson ink I would gladly send you a bottle of black ink to tie you over your bad times.. :)

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
First of all I don't agree that ink is that cheap. If the waste ink collected from the printer is fresh and without exposure to atmosphere (drying up) for too long it is just a perfect source of free ink for drafting, proofing and whatever you name it. I won't waste my hard earned money when it is easy to save by reusing waste ink for printing black. If you can handily collect the waste ink why not use it?

I found that ink contained in the bottle even with the cap off will not dry up at any rate to concern me. There is an oily substance on the surface of the ink that keeps it from drying up for days and possibly weeks. I am talking about dye based inks for Canon. Even it may be an issue if the waste ink is exposed to air for some days it is likely to be OK still.When the ink is printed on paper the oily film is broken up and the ink will dry up almost instantly. I think the waste ink is not going to be as dark black as a good quality black ink from your ink supplier though.

Hat, I am not against you but in this post you have shown a very strong opinion of yours. You think ink is cheap but I don't think so. You feel sorry for people who is trying to save money. I feel it is perfectly normal to want to save. Your last statement does not make any sense at all. What bad times? What make you think about bad times in this case? I am sorry, you are regarded by many as a great helper here. I hope you were more helpful in this thread. I am not against you but I just don't quite agree with you this time. Have a great day.