Results of CIS and Printer tests

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
My intention on this project was to save money on printing, after my testing was concluded, several of my business associates wanted complete systems, printers and continuous ink.

So now we all have these giant HP Pro Officejets k5400dtn and continuous ink systems. WOW

Printing for pennies for the first time..... Thanks to great forums like this.

Here is the list of printers tested, first two were bought as test systems.

HP k550 $ 5.00 plus $30.00 shipping (ebay) Printheads replaced (seller just wanted to get rid of this huge printer)
HP k550dt $60.00 (Craiglist) Printheads replaced (drove 150 miles to get this deal)
HP k5400 $99.00 free shipping (HP online store) New, great printer, (Thanks, Martin for the suggestion)
HP k5400dtn $79.00 $42.00 shipping (Amazon) New, no software, no cables, no manuals , Spanish instructions on box, warranty thru HP
HP l7680 $139.00 (UNCLEVIC) Re-certified, works nicely
Epson Artisan $149.00 (Frys Electronics) New, perfect little printer, great photos, Wifi

Test results

Uni-Kit: CIS, Cartridges not recognized, two cartridges leaked, color fair, replaced this unit twice. $139.00 (distributor's warehouse will-call pick up)

ebay: CIS, ink tubes kinked, cartridges did not seat correctly, color off, cellophane seals, (cartridge leakage in one week) $49.00

Rihac: CIS, good size tanks, color good, cartridges did not leak, $130.00 plus $38.00 shipping, (This is one of the best)

Piano Book CIS: Cartridges did not leak and seated correctly, rubber inlet seal with metal caps just like the OEM ink inlet tubes. (HP #88 cartridge). Colors good, Pigment black, I am now using OCP ink as I refill, nice deep dark black, finally printing for pennies. $99.00, free shipping in the US. I like this one so well I became a distributor. Turned a hobby into a job.........

This project has been fun and a little messy.. Recommend getting a supply of Dye-Gone II hand washing cream and wearing gloves, never had such colorful looking hands before.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Love your passion and thorough explanations. It's all about sharing information here, and I'm sure your contribution will help others!
Great stuff!!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Yeah... just to mirror Manuchau's comment... Things like this help enormously...

I'm glad a few of the tips worked out well too... :)