Restoring INK monitoring on ip4300

narmenia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Can anyone help in restoring ink monitoring on an ip4300?
I need to send the whole unit to canon (philippines) for a head replacement.

Thanks

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
As far as I know the only way is to put a set of OEM cartridges in it. I wouldn't try the refilled and reset cartridges. The printer will still have logged that at one time the ink level monitoring was disabled.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
narmenia said:
Can anyone help in restoring ink monitoring on an ip4300?
I need to send the whole unit to canon (philippines) for a head replacement.
I have zero actual knowledge on this subject, but it is hard to believe that Canon would go to all of this trouble to record the use of refilled/CIS carts and have you agree that such use voids the warranty and then discard that information just because a set of OEM carts was reinstalled. I'm afraid that when you agreed to void the warranty that this fact was permanently recorded in the printer's memory and that you have forfeited all claims for warranty repairs on that printer.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
Not necessarily. If I remember correctly the wording is that the warranty can be voided if the refilled cartridges damage the printer. in the case here that may be what Canon will assume since it's the printhead that's bad.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
In the past Canon accepted the purchaser's word that the printhead needed replacing without sending the printer in for printhead replacement. Is this a new policy or is it peculiar to the Phillipines?

narmenia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
it's what canon wants... from what the store i purchased the unit from said...

can i gamble on this... i can borrow used carts that has "neverbeen bypassed yet" and send the unit to canon...

i think this is only acceptable in the philippines. no one really trust anyone here. to many bad people... (my ip3300+CIS was stolen a month ago grrrrrrrrrrrr)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I could be wrong but isn't normal procedure for you to remove the printhead and cartridges before you send it back?

narmenia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
from what the store owner said (he talked with a canon representative on YM)

in order for the printer to be replaced i need to bring the whole unit to a CANON Service Center. The nearest is about 1 night boat trip away.

1. so i'll have to remove the CIS
2. make sure to leave no trace of using a CIS on the printer
3. get a set of untampered carts with "unbypassed" chips (borrow)
4. install the carts on the printer
5. make sure the ink monitor is functional (hope it works)
6. pack the printer inside the box
7. bring the printer to a CANON Service Center
8. THEY will then check the printer (hope they wont find anything suspicious)
9. realize that the printhead is defective (clogged CYAN)
10. GIVE ME A NEW PRINTHEAD

MAIN problems are 5 and 8

From what a few people replied number 5 is possible
But number 8 is the real problem

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
If you have previously disabled the ink level monitoring it will be logged in the printer's internal memory probably in the EEPROM. It would have a record that shows you had previously agreed to the warranty liability statement Canon acknowledged you when you were using a refilled ink tank. If the Canon service center checks for that you may be caught and denied the warranty. This log may be kept in the print head or in the printer or possibly both. You can try your luck and hope for the best. Replacing with a et of new OEM cartridges will restore the ink level monitoring bit it can not erase the log. You can try and see what happens.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Try to enter service mode and reset EEPROM:

1. Start with the printer OFF
2. Hold down RESUME and then hold down POWER
3. release RESUME
4. press RESUME twice, then release POWER
5. Let green light blink until printer is done moving print head.

Now you should be in service mode.

6. Press RESUME 1 time then POWER to execute the command
This will print head test print. Just if you want to check clogging problems in depth.

7.Press RESUME 2 times then POWER to execute the command
This will print EEPROM information ink usage etc.

8. Press RESUME 3 times then POWER to execute the command
This will reinitialize (reset) EEPROM

9. Press RESUME 2 times then POWER to execute the command
This will print EEPROM information once more, you should compare it with your fist print. All zeroes should be all over the place.
That means your EEPROM is reset.

In the Canon tech's start to ask questions just say you pressed the buttons tried to clear the error or tried something you read on internet that you taught might solve your problem.

After everything is reset install borrowed cartridges to get monitoring features back, and send the unit to canon service.

Keep us updated how it went, many people I think have the same question. Hope it works out fine for you.

If you printed alot of pages since you had CIS installed you need to reset waste ink counter too:

Press resume 4 times to reset ink waste counter than POWER to execute the command