Resetting region code of canon mg 3150

smikey

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a Canon MG3150 printer given by a relative. Its a nice printer and all but i can not use it in my region because the ink cartridge is not available here. Does anybody know how to reset the region code of this printer so that i maybe able to use it. Thanks

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The "50" in the type number indicates that this printer is intended for the European region, and possibly also Australia. The same printer for North America would be named MG 3120.

Even if there exists software tools able to change the region and other settings, the cartridge region seems locked in the firmware. There are reports that attempts to change for instance an American region printer for use in Europe with European cartridges are unsuccessful. The region setting seems only to determine language settings and locking/unlocking region dependent features like CD printing. Instead there are reports that a resetter for the American PGI-225/CLI-226 cartridges has been used to successfully convert the European PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges into American cartridges. But this is of no use for you, as the MG 3150 is a two cartridge printer for which no resetters exist. :(

You find an instruction here, if you want to experiment with service mode operations: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7416 . The most common procedure for entering service mode involves pressing the stop/resume button twice, but 4,5, and 6 times are also used for some printers. You might be lucky that the region change will also change the cartridge region for the 2 cartridge printer, but most likely not.

An error made in service mode can render your printer useless, so do this at your own risk. But I think the printer is useless already? :(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
smikey said:
I have a Canon MG3150 printer given by a relative. Its a nice printer and all but i can not use it in my region because the ink cartridge is not available here. Does anybody know how to reset the region code of this printer so that i maybe able to use it. Thanks
The simple answer is you cant, if you change the region for the printer it will still want to use the same cartridges regardless.
A cheaper option would be to shop around and get a suitable printer in your own area, one that you can refill the cartridges..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990

smikey

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys .Yes, I have refilled the cartridges and its dead now.. I have a friend though that was able to reset the region code of a later model Canon MP240 by putting the printer in its "IDLE MODE" first, Then a sequence of other keys on the printer made it work. Its just that he wont give away that sequence without a fee.. So I thought, maybe this will work also on my MG.. Maybe I'll just trade this printer to our local canon dealer.

Thanks again guys.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
On Canon printers with a LCD display, you will see two lines of text : "Service mode" and "Idle", when the printer has entered service mode, so I am sure your friend uses service mode operations for region change.

So maybe region change in service mode for the two cartridge printers actually changes the cartridge region also? You could give it a try.

You find a link to the service tool thread in post #2. The instructions for entering service mode in most service manuals is a bit difficult to understand, but here is an instruction provided by MP640. I think this instruction is much better:

1. With the power cord connected and the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume / Cancel button, press and hold the ON button. (DO NOT release the buttons.)

2. When the Power LED lights, while holding the ON button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the ON button).

3. While holding the ON button, press the Resume / Cancel button 5 times, then release the ON button. Each time the Resume / Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately.
If this procedure doesn't work, try pushing the Resume/Cancel button 2 times in step 3. If 2 times doesn't work, try numbers 4 and 6.

If you get an "Error 006" when trying to change the region or perform other service mode operations, it means that the printer has not entered service mode.

To verify that the region change for the cartridges is successful, you will need a set of cartridges for your region, but you probably already have these? It would be a bit expensive to buy new cartridges as I cannot guarantee that the procedure will work.

I recommend you download the version 3400 from the link in Update6 in this post: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=51824#p51824 This is the newest version with support for most printers, and this version works with both 32 and 64 bit Windows.

Also see this post for info about procedure for entering service mode and for supported printers: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=64094#p64094

If you try the region change, please report your results whether positive or negative. Good luck with the project.

Peter.