Resetting canon cartridge chips - new method?

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi has anyone tried this yet. There are 4 pins on the chip - Vcc,GND,CLK and Data. The GND pin is the longest and the second from the left. Put tape over this pin to insulate it and you should find that the cartridge still works and the red light is still on. I think that the printer can still wright to the chip but as I currently do not have a canon printer cannot confirm whether ink levels are reset by this. Can someone try and let me know. No harm will befall your printer.
Thanks

Zap

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
dougsewell said:
Hi has anyone tried this yet. There are 4 pins on the chip - Vcc,GND,CLK and Data. The GND pin is the longest and the second from the left. Put tape over this pin to insulate it and you should find that the cartridge still works and the red light is still on. I think that the printer can still wright to the chip but as I currently do not have a canon printer cannot confirm whether ink levels are reset by this. Can someone try and let me know. No harm will befall your printer.
Thanks
Hi, I tried it with my ip4200 with the following result.

Using an empty PGI-5BK cartages which showed as low ink, on the status report. Physically showing no ink at all in the liquid side.

Covering the longest pin with paper tape, 1st test, and again with scotch tape, 2nd test, had the same results.

1. The light was dimmer than the other cartages
2. The light was slowly blinking at the same rate as before covering the longest pin
3. The printer status report showed the cartage to be "Low ink" with the "!" over it.
4. The printer was able to print the nozzel check just as before, with or without the tape over the longest pin.

Conclusion, there is no advantage, No reset.

Jack

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Jack
Worth a try although I thought it might work. Never mind back to puzzling this out for an easymethod
Doug