reset BEFORE you refill?

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Have I understood correctly that you reset before you refill?

Also, some YouTube videos show a reset procedure when the light on the cartridge inside the printer is blinking (showing that the cartridge is low or out of ink). I'm assuming that resetting the cartridge then will stop the blinking light, and that you then go ahead and refill the cart. Is that correct?

All help is appreciated.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
inkadinkado Have I understood correctly that you reset before you refill?
I'm assuming that resetting the cartridge then will stop the blinking light
It always helps to reset your cartridge before refilling because it is then less lightly
to leak or dribble ink all over your resetter.

If you reset your cartridge chip it will revert back to full status and there will be no blinking light,
but dont do this unless you intend filling the cartridge before putting it back in your printer..:(

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
I used to reset the cart after I refilled but then I saw Redbrickman's post about resetting before so that's what I do now.

It doesn't really matter either way, but to minimize the chance of making a mess, do it before.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41714#p41714

You are correct, resetting the cart will stop it from blinking in the printer. It's just the printer's way of letting you know which cart needs to be replaced..... er, refilled.

Added: The Hat types faster than I.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
When you lift the cover and the printhead moves to the centre, any cart that is blinking is low on ink.

Remove the cart, do a reset on it, then refill the cart, replace, and the blinking will stop. A lot of videos show you the cart being reset after refilling, but to avoid any mess it is better to reset before filling.

Best to have a spare cart which you have reset and refilled then just swap them, otherwise if you have the cart out of the printer too long the head may dry up.

Mmmm must be the red wine as two others beat me to it :D

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Well, I'm days late :)

But yes... resetting first reduced the chance of a squeeze messing your resetter/fingers/table/life*...

*see "wifes reaction to ink all over the table her great grandmother left her in the will" ;)

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Much thanks to all. I'm sure you saved me from a big mess.

Redbrickman, that is a good tip to have a full reset cartridge on hand. I'll create a system for reset, refilled spares.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
There are a few more tips in the forum regarding spares, just search and find ;)

I have a full set at all times in reserve. I place them in a ziplock bag with as much air as possible squeezed out, and store them in a cool place.

I use a set about every 3 weeks, so they are never sitting too long to deteriorate, but if stored properly I think they would be fine for long periods of time.

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks, Redbrickman.

BTW, I'm trying to get better at using the search function of this forum. I'm not really good at it yet, and I've been a bit scolded for asking so many, many questions. I do understand how monotonous it must be for the refill masters to keep repeating the same answers to us newbies. I'm trying to get better.

But, thanks again. I appreciate your patience and I'm so grateful for all the wonderful answers.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I always keep the resetter next to the printer. Whenever I remove a cartridge I immediately reset it so that when time comes for refilling I won't have to.