Request for a Sticky on Unclogging Printheads

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I know we can get this info on a search, but in the interest of putting all things on one thread, can I request a sticky thread that would list ways to unclog printheads?

Ideally, the info would contain:
1. Printer type
2. Cartridge type and Ink type (pigment/dye)
3. Problems encountered
4. Ways tested to fix the problem; expected "effectiveness" of those methods
5. "Do not use the above method if...." -- words of caution

Thanks!

I just had my second CL-41 cart go funny on me --- it has never, EVER run out of ink, and my prints use little yellow color (I refill 4-5cc of Cy or Ma, but only 2-3cc of Ye is enough to fill the sponge) and the "light yellow" print is the first one to show streaks! Grr!!!

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Okay, I'll post what I can find here, to make this thread my "one-stop shop" for cleaning printheads. Please do not post comments here if you aren't suggesting a cleaning method, let's try to keep this one clean and to the point.

barrie3223 said:
I washed just about all the ink out of an empty black cartridge. Then, I filled the cartridge with windex. I put the cartridge in the printer and after about 5 days it started depositing windex on the paper. I put a normal black cartridge in and after the windex got washed out, it started working just fine.

A word of caution:

If you are going to try this, I would suggest that you make a test pattern of narrow vertical black lines. Try running a cleaning cycle then print the test pattern and look for stripes of dampness on the paper. You do not want to try printing too much continuosly because the inkjet elements may overheat. If you don't see anything on the paper, keep trying once a day.
I do regular and deep cleaning but still my printhead died on me. Has Canon figured out how to do disposable carts already? I'm currently trying a mix of #3/#6 and the above suggestion to clean out this cart. Keeping my fingers crossed.
nifty-stuff.com said:
1) Regular and then deep print head cleaning cycles. (Also do a regular cleaning cycle after each of the following procedures).
2) Pull out the head and run distilled water through the nozzles and printhead and let dry thoroughly.
3) Let the head sit in isopropyl alcohol (just deep enough to cover the nozzles) and let thoroughly dry.
4) Same as above, but with warm - hot alcohol.
5) Use a compressed air cannister to blow air through the nozzles.
6) Fill cart. with windex and let it sit for a few days in the printer / on the printhead.
I tried this one before, but I think I'm doing it wrong; I've had no luck on this one:
panos said:
* Ammonia based glass cleaner
* A small dish
* Tissue (soft toilet paper will do)

1) Fold a few sheets of tissue, let it sit on a dish, and spray ammonia-based glass cleaner on the paper until its thoroughly wet.
2) Let the printhead sit on the wet tissue.
3) Let a few drops of the glass cleaner on the metallic pickup discs.
4) VERY GENTLY, push the printhead on the tissue and then pull a little faster. Repeat a few times. Ink should appear on the tissue.
5) Throw away the wet tissue and repeat steps 1-4. The second time you should notice ink or cleaning fluid appearing on the pickup discs as you push the printhead.

With a dry sheet of tissue, clean up the printhead contacts and the areas around the pickup discs.

Don't brush the nozzles or the pickup discs. Don't let the printhead dry; insert it in the head carriage, insert your cartridges and run a cleaning cycle.

Abdul

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Unclogging an HP Injet Cartridge:
After filling in the ink the usual kit way, I could not print anything. I tried all the usual cleaning methods without success. I happened to read on Google Search that perhaps there could be air bubbles trapped inside. I figured a way to get the air bubbles out and I would like to share with all. I took a piece of plastic (could be anything) thicker than the print head sticking out of the cartridge body. I placed the plastic piece underneath the print head and taped it. Then I placed the cartridge in a small Ziploc bag and sealed it tight with a piece of duct tape. I wrapped the excess bag around the cartridge and with a large piece of duct tape I stuck the whole assembly on the inside wall of the washing machine drum. The plastic piece keeps the print head nozzles away from the drum wall. Then I put the washing machine in the Spin Cycle and spun it for about 45 secs. I removed the cartridge, cleaned it up of the ink that had oozed out due to centrifugal force, and voila, the cartridge worked like a charm. Please wear gloves. It is a messy job but saves a lot of headache and money.

Abdul

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Very much married, indeed. That is where the Ziploc bag comes in handy. If that breaks while spinning, you will be in the dog house.