Replacement printer for MP610

zack23

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello all -

After years of refilling my Canon printers (first an IP4000, then an IP5000, now an MP610), I think I need to move on. I've already replaced the printhead on my MP610 once, and now the cyan nozzles have failed again and finding a new printhead is out of the question. Plus, there are no Canon drivers that work with my current system (Mac OS 12.6 Monterey) and the Gutenprint driver is workable but missing a number of features that I previously relied on.

I need an "all-in-one" unit. I'm currently thinking about a Canon G6020 mega tank printer. It is rated for a higher duty cycle than the cheaper mega tank printers, the scanner is higher resolution, and it has two paper trays. I've heard good things about the Maxify printers, but unfortunately the smallest Maxify is too large to fit in the space that the printer needs to go in.

Here are my questions:
1. The cheaper mega tank printers all feature replaceable waste pads ("maintenance cartridges"). However, I can't find any indication that the G6020 has replaceable waste pads. Is it true that this (more expensive) printer doesn't have replaceable pads?

2. Are the print heads replaceable on the G6020 (or on the cheaper mega tank printers)? If so, any idea what they cost?

3. I use my printer intermittently - it can be left off for several days or even a week or two. Is this likely to cause clogging with the mega tank systems?

I'd be open to getting a non-mega tank Canon printer (other than a Maxify), but my understanding is that the current models are a pain to refill. Any advice appreciated!

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I need an "all-in-one" unit. I'm currently thinking about a Canon G6020 mega tank printer.
You’re not going to find it easy to get a Canon printer to fit your needs, these days it’s a case of.. You need to fit the printers needs, most if not all new printers have caveats, and that goes double for the mega tank printers, so choose wisely, ironically the only AIO printer that’s easy to refill, is the Maxify..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
If we had known twenty years ago what Canon had in mind for the future, when the first generation of Pixmas was released, instead of purchasing a single Pixma IP4000/5000, we’d got three or four printers along with a dozen of spare printheads. No more worries about resetting chips/waste ink pad counters.

I agree with you, cartridge based Maxifys seem the lesser evil nowadays

zack23

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You’re not going to find it easy to get a Canon printer to fit your needs...
Thanks Hat. Wish I could go for a Maxify, but I'm in a small apartment with limited desk space and everything has to stack together just so.

Would it make sense for me to be looking for an Epson or HP printer if I need a relatively compact printer with a megatank system or refillable cartridges? I've been using Canons for nearly 20 years, but if I have to switch I'll do so...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Wish I could go for a Maxify, but I'm in a small apartment with limited desk space and everything has to stack together just so.
My Maxify is in a tight space too, so I stack all sorts of stuff on top of it, but then I don’t use the scanner, so I don’t worry about access to it..

Mega tank printers usually work flawlessly for a while then all sorts of issues crop up. Put it simply they can be a pain in the bum and not worth having, individual carts are far better..

P.S. can you put it in another location..