Replace Canon MP780 ciss or get new Epsom Artisan 837/730 with ciss?

GLO

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, my Canon MP780 (multifunction version of IP4000) has served us well over the past 5-6years.

my ciss has only been refilled twice during this time.

The MP780 functions well but I may need to replace the head, as well as the ciss.

Thus I am at a cross road.

Am I better of ordering new head and possibly a new ciss for my MP780? Or order a new Epsom artisan 837 or 730? I Want the Auto document feeder.

I have read that the Epsom heads are longer lasting and print better photos since it uses 6colour ink system.

But then again the canon prints faster.

Can I have some constructive feedback please?

Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
GLO

The bottom line is if your printer is working well then dont change it.

Now you say you may need a print head why is the current one clogged or misfiring
can you post a nozzle check if youre unhappy with it maybe we can help.

The MP780 has clearly been a very good printer to you and youre happy with it so if a print head is necessary
then go for it and youll probably get another 5 years out of this little gem.

If you only had to refill your CISS twice in 5 years then clearly you dont really need the CISS on your printer,
(Its used mainly for Volume printing) refilling your OEM cartridges would have being a more suitable way to run the printer.

Getting an replacement (back up) printer wont be a bad idea either its not a sin that I know of to have more than one.. two.. etc :love
so if you think youd be happy with an Epson 837 / 730 well they are very good printers too.. :)

Please let us know which way you decide to go and the reasons behind your decision.. :fl

siusiuenen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Artisan beat your Canon most spec. except : Auto document feeder, Duplex print, and ink a little more expensive and it drink a lots more ink than your Canon .

GLO

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi The Hat,

It's true I don't do a heap of printing but that will change with 4 children in the house.

In saying that, my CISS holds 80ml each fill and I was previously printing on DVDs which accounted for the bulk of colour usage.

The CISS served its purpose better than having to buy multiple cartridges.

Other factors that are influencing my decision are:

1.the CISS tubing has become loose on the cartridge
2.canon head replacement cost is approx $120
3.should I convert canon CISS cartridge to top fill?
4.last resort, I could simply buy non- oem cartridges.

5.im told that the Epsoms print head lasts heaps longer and the CISS is an easy fit
6.epsom currently have a $80 rebate which makes it an opportunity to upgrade

GLO

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think I will try to resurrect my MP780.

I forgot to mention that I already bought an old IP4000 for its spare head. So right now, i cant tell whether the heads are gone or whether the poor seals on my CISS are the cause of the issues.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
GLO said:
I think I will try to resurrect my MP780.

I forgot to mention that I already bought an old IP4000 for its spare head. So right now, i cant tell whether the heads are gone or whether the poor seals on my CISS are the cause of the issues.
Maybe its time to take stock and look at the two printers you have and see if you can get them both working again.

If youre having a few problems with the CISS why dont you give cartridge refilling a try,
it will surprise you as to how easy it is not to mention the pleasure you get from reusing your OEM cartridges again and again.

You can use the same inks that you have in your CISS to refill your cartridges so try and pickup a set or two
of empty OEM cartridges on EBay to get started at very little cost and later a resetter.. :)