Remove and check colour cartridge HP 23, HpPSC500 error

BackToYourRoots

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm new on this forum and i really need help. I own HP PSC500. I refilled my HP15 black cartridge and Hp23 colour cartridge. Now the thing is when i put black cartridge, that's fine, but when i insert colour cartridge i get the following error on display of printer: REMOVE AND CHECK COLOR CARTRIDGE. VERIFY PART NUMBER: C1823A C1823G OR C1823D. and the worst of it is that the printer won't print unless both cartridges are working. So i've contacted nearest refill store and they told me that i need to insert at least three different hp23 color cartridges so that printer "forgets" the serial number of original cartridge. i did that but with no results. anyone experienced same or similar problem? or does anyone know how to solve this?

thnx in advance

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I would try and remove the driver and reboot windows. then try re-installing the printer.

There is one thing with my HP when I remove a cartridge I place a thin plastic strip between the contacts to prevent the sharp printer contacts from destroying the copper ones.

I lost a cartridge this way. The message was not the same but the printer would not work

Terry

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You should be able to verify easily. Most of the # 23 carts are the 30 ml. "D". Check your cartridge-it will be marked on the cartridge and on the box. I've sold these for years, and the 23 has always been "D". Also, test a different cartridge to see if you get the same message.

Failing that, you can re-install the driver, but that may or may not help.

Please post your results...and good luck!!

BackToYourRoots

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
So here are the results.
Reinstalling the driver didn't help. i know it's a "D", but the printer refuses to accept it. i have old empty hp23 "D", and when i inserted it the printer recognized him, so i refilled it, and the same error popped up when i inserted that same cartridge that printer recognized when it was empty. so i guess when i refill any of the empty hp23 "D" cartridges, the printer automatically refuses to accept it, and i just don't know why. i went to refill store to check if i refilled it correctly, and they said that it was ok, they even inserted it into another hp printer (sorry but i forgot the model of that printer) and there was no problem at all.

So i guess i have to buy a new one (cartridge).

i'll wait for a day or two in case someone posts a different solution.

anyway thnx for your effort and help.

ustilago

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wipe the contacts clean and then use a pink (not white or blue but pink and only pink) eraser to clean the pads. Non-pink erasers can be abrasive, do not use anything other than a good old fashioned pink eraser. The eraser will pick up any schmutz that is left on the pads (works great for cleaning contacts on PCI and AGP cards as well).

If that doesn't work then I would suspect that the electronics have failed on the cartridge.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If the refilled carts are working in other printers, but not in yours, that tells me the problem is NOT the cartridge, but in the printer. Do the contact cleaning, and try again. As for the driver, did you totally uninstall the previous driver, or just delete it from your printers folder?
Delete it from your windows system folder and from the registry (CAREFULLY!)..then try the re-install again. But..it sounds like the contacts on the printer are messing up...keep trying and please post your results.

MarcellaL

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi, I had some problem with my HP printer myself but luckily I found a great new tech support site that helps you fix almost every product. They also have live chat support that you can use for free.

Here is the page for HP Support

Good luck

Marcella